Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering... How hard has it been for you guys who have built computers to install heatsinks and CPU fans. I dont want links or anything, just any tips or anything or personal stories would be nice.

Thank u

·
Registered
698 Posts
yep and if it comes with a custom retention bracket, use it. Even if it looks exactly the same you should use it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What if the screwdriver slips or something... and scratches the Mobo what kind of damage will occur, or do u have any tips to prevent this>? (will be working with a socket 754 and Arctic thermal paste.)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Unless you gouge the mobo pretty deep, chances are you wont actually damage anything. (barring you actually hitting a chip or a capacator). This happened to me on my Epox 8KHA+ I slipped and actually hit a tracer but didnt break it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
put everything together outside of the case if possible. Use a screwdriver that fits the slot exactly. Place the retention clip on the back side without the slot. Then push down evenly on the top of the heatsink and seat the other side. Be sure to use thermal past. Arctic silver 5 is the best imo. If the heatsik comes with a thermal pad remove it before applying the thermal paste. Or you can ue the thermal pad. Almost all heatsinks come with a protective cover on the bottom. Ensure you remove this before install. Hope something in this blurb helps you out.

• Rep+
Reactions: The Duke

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Nice blurb Weasel

Most boards are adding a thin plastic protector so if yours dont have one just do like Weasel said and be sure the screwdriver fits right and do it before you install the board and on a flat surface.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts