Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share some of the stresses of late...

I've bought the new Big Typhoon 120 VX cooler.

I lapped both my CPU and the Big Typhoon, as I found that they both had concave surfaces.

The new Big typhoon has a re-designed clip so that on an INtel LGA 775 its like fitting the stock cooler.

I am not very confident in my installation...or rather the application of the AS5. I don't know if I should be following a different procedure because I have lapped my cpu and HSF? It just doesn't seem to make sense that after lapping and making sure that the surfaces are nice and flat, that one would go and put some AS5 which I dont feel really spreads out that thinly...but rather blobs up under your heatsink.

Also, does lapping afftect the tension that the installation clips normally give on an unlapped CPU? I know we don't take that much metal off during the lapping procedure, but it still takes some thickness out, which must reduce the pressure applied by the clips?

The reason I suspect this is that I find it very easy to rotate my heatsink once its been installed. I have checked the clips, and they're all in prperly...but it rotates quite freely!

Maybe Im just a stress head...paranoid...?

I just dont have a lot of confidence in the application of the AS5...

Any comments or feedback welcome...

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Quote:
Also, does lapping afftect the tension that the installation clips normally give on an unlapped CPU? I know we don't take that much metal off during the lapping procedure, but it still takes some thickness out, which must reduce the pressure applied by the clips?
Thats the Job of thermal compound to fill the very slight gaps and gaps.

When applying Thermal compound in General but especially AS5 you just put a Rice grain size amount ontop of the IHS and place the heatsink on top generally.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts