Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an Asus STRIX GTX 980 TI and i got a universal waterblock i can use for the GPU but i can see that the stock cooler has cooling on the VRM's
I dont have very good experience with these small heatsinks with doublesided tape. They tend to fall off for some reason. So i figured i want a complete heatsink that fits the entire batch of VRM's
Can i find a big heatsink i can cut to fit the board?
This is how the card looks

·
Registered
723 Posts
The HEATKILLER Core could cool both your GPU and VRMs. For dedicated VRM cooling, there is the HEATKILLER microSW-X 60 DIY. You can buy both in a great bundle. This way, you don:t leave your VRMs to passive air, but cool them actively with weater - just as your sig suggests
wink.gif

It actually is a great way to save money on the long term, because when you upgrade to a new card, all you need is a new bottom plate, instead a new fullcover for over hundred bucks. I personally used it on a Sapphire 7870 XT and a R9 290. Those are images from my private buildlog. For the R9 290, I used the vast space on the right of the VRMs. I left the Copper base plate bigger than needed and placed passive heat sinks on it. Don't know how much those help, but they do get warm. And as you can see, you can get funky with the microtubes if you want to
wink.gif

Btw, the passive Heatsinks you can see are used for the RAM modules.

·
Registered
329 Posts
http://www.enzotechnology.com/images/mos_c1.jpg

theese i used on my asus strix 980 ti OC VRM's

together with some apoxy glue ( WOULD NOT RECOMMEND )

and artic acellero III cooler.

it outpreformed asus stock easy. but needed fans on 24-7 @ 40% min speed, it where fine
wink.gif

but those small suckers can do the job. i ran my card bios flashed with 1.250 volt and 1500mhz boost. sadly i broke my card to physical damage ;P

the enzotech got a little hot, but it where okay, i where fine
smile.gif

·
Registered
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax911 View Post

Just bought an Asus STRIX GTX 980 TI and i got a universal waterblock i can use for the GPU but i can see that the stock cooler has cooling on the VRM's
I dont have very good experience with these small heatsinks with doublesided tape. They tend to fall off for some reason. So i figured i want a complete heatsink that fits the entire batch of VRM's
Can i find a big heatsink i can cut to fit the board?
This is how the card looks
In case you're still within the return window, some Strix 980ti bios are locked to 1.212V. I don't know if you were planning on increasing the voltage to get higher overclocks on water, but it's something to be aware of.

Also, here is a really good thermal pad. http://www.modright.com/products/11422/thr-185/Fujipoly_ModRight_Ultra_Extreme_System_Builder_Thermal_Pad_Blister_Pack_-_100_x_15_x_10_-_Thermal_Conductivity_170_WmK.html?tl=g66c29

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I was just told that you have to keep pressing the copper heatsinks with thermal tape for about 10 seconds atleast then the glue will set so i will try that.
But i like your idea Watercool-Jakob

·
Registered
723 Posts
Well, it totally depends on the airflow in your case. If you got good airflow, especially over the GPU, passive heatsinks could very well be enough. But remember, with the original cooling solution, they had three 90mm fans blowing from ~ one inch away, creating MASSIVE airflow directed right at the heatsink to keep those guys cool. You should make sure that there is a lot of airflow right at the GPU so you don't overheat the VRMs. And I would highly recommend you use some tool to monitor their temperatures.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Working fine so far. I have the same cooling setup as zetoor85. I just wish i could monitor the temps on the VRM's
GPU isnt OC'ed yet but full load temps are only 40 c
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
329 Posts
Quote:

Working fine so far. I have the same cooling setup as zetoor85. I just wish i could monitor the temps on the VRM's
GPU isnt OC'ed yet but full load temps are only 40 c
biggrin.gif
hey
wink.gif
my secret here is " Use the force " ( use a finger tip ) " if they get so hot, that you cant hold your finger more than 2-3 sec, just stop !!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetoor85 View Post

hey
wink.gif
my secret here is " Use the force " ( use a finger tip ) " if they get so hot, that you cant hold your finger more than 2-3 sec, just stop !!!
After 10 minutes of full load and no OC i can touch the heatsink with the backside of my finger (thinner skin) and i can barely feel they are hot at all.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Quote:

After 10 minutes of full load and no OC i can touch the heatsink with the backside of my finger (thinner skin) and i can barely feel they are hot at all.
brilliant !!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Warranty void? If so there are little chance the shop will check that out. and how can they if the card is broken
tongue.gif

Where and how zetoor85?

·
Registered
329 Posts
yea here it can get a little tricky, and tbh its a step you will have to take on your own
wink.gif
but at some point, if you brick your card, it could not be that easy to lie about what actully happend, IF asus went so long to email you and ask ***?... i dont know...

on the other hand you could just rma the card and play stupid
devil.gif

but who knows, there is serval risk you run, and they might not even be worth it on some cards.
personal i had never bricked any card. but i have eighter flashed 1000 of them, only a few.

if you decide to flash at all, disable any overclock, read as much information about the flash tools and how they work, and dont forget to disable your gfx card in device manager ! for god sake !
biggrin.gif

what bios do you have on the card? does it have a 2B last in the bios number?

·
Registered
329 Posts
https://tpucdn.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_980_Ti_STRIX_Gaming/images/gpuz_oc.gif

if you have a bios like this card you are in for some serius oc
smile.gif

i normaly use this thread. http://www.overclock.net/t/1573308/nvidia-gtx-900-cards-custom-bios-upon-request

the owner is a gentleman ! plus he know what he is doing. but try surf some on that forum page, aloot of cool stuff
smile.gif

and plz, do never download & flash someone's bios rom, its way more safe ( atleast from what i understand ) if you use the orginal rom from the card you overclock

·
Registered
329 Posts
Quote:

it ends with 83
okay, im not 100% sure, but you might have locked voltage at 1.201volt, even with bios mod it will not go past 1.201
frown.gif
only on some bios like 2B, and only had a 2B card my self, so i only know this from others i spoken with that tryed to flash to get like 1.25/1.274volt & failed...

·
Custom Loop Snob
2,619 Posts
Why would you spend $700 on a card and even more on a custom loop only to buy a universal waterblock instead of a proper full cover kit?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisoner View Post

Why would you spend $700 on a card and even more on a custom loop only to buy a universal waterblock instead of a proper full cover kit?
Because i already had the universal block ^^

In EVGA i set the gpu power limit to 110% and increased the speed by 250MHz but furmark only runs around 1160MHz?????

1 - 20 of 25 Posts