Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my grandfather recently offered me his old dell since he has no use for it (it's sat untouched for about 10 years), and I was thinking of using the case for a Ryzen build. I can't find the actual cooler height limit in that case (it's a dell dimension 4550), so could anyone recommend a heatsink that's not really tall that would be good for a Ryzen 5 1600? I'm not planning to do any extreme overclocking, probably only to like 3.6 or 3.7GHz

·
Premium Member
27,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by technyk32 View Post

So my grandfather recently offered me his old dell since he has no use for it (it's sat untouched for about 10 years), and I was thinking of using the case for a Ryzen build. I can't find the actual cooler height limit in that case (it's a dell dimension 4550), so could anyone recommend a heatsink that's not really tall that would be good for a Ryzen 5 1600? I'm not planning to do any extreme overclocking, probably only to like 3.6 or 3.7GHz
Big problem will be getting enough case airflow in such an old case. Modern components use much, much more airflow to cool than old out of the box systems.

Here is a link to how to determine CPU clearance
http://www.overclock.net/t/1491876/ways-to-better-cooling-airflow-cooler-fan-data/20_20#post_23232751

·
Premium Member
27,410 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for that link. To help with airflow a bit, I might try to figure out a way to add a front case fan, which would require me to make air holes. Since the case is one of the weird ones that hinges open, it would be pretty much impossible to put in top or bottom fans
Trick will be keeping the front looking stock when adding vents. Maybe put venting behind front door and open door when working system hard would keep the 'stealth look' ??
Why couldn't you put in bottom vents? Potential problem I see is needing taller feet so there is decent airflow to bottom vent.

·
Premium Member
27,410 Posts
Quote:

The problem with bottom airvents is that the entire case swings out. It's not just the side panel. I would be able to put vents, but not fans
Sorry, I misunderstood.
blushsmiley.gif
Everything I've used for about 20 years has been component built, so I'm not familiar with production computer cases.

Edit: Is the how it opens?

If it is, why can't a vent be made in the silver section of bottom and extend the feet for better bottom airflow to vent?

·
Premium Member
27,410 Posts
Without knowing case size I can't say for sure, but why would you need to use the bottom 2 or 2 PCIe sockets? Decent motherboard will probably have good enough audio and not bad graphics built in, so for gaming only a good graphics card is needed. That leaves 5 or 6 lower slots unused. Even if a audio card is added there are still at least 3 empty slots.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Without knowing case size I can't say for sure, but why would you need to use the bottom 2 or 2 PCIe sockets? Decent motherboard will probably have good enough audio and not bad graphics built in, so for gaming only a good graphics card is needed. That leaves 5 or 6 lower slots unused. Even if a audio card is added there are still at least 3 empty slots.
It's a micro-ATX case. Also, I'm planning to put in a WiFi card, since there are no ethernet ports in my basement. I'm not so much worried about bottom cards causing an issue, I'm worried about the possibility of a fan interfering with cables on motherboard headers.

·
Premium Member
27,410 Posts
That makes more sense.
thumb.gif

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: I have gotten some of the core components, and for now I'm using the stock cooler (I'm not planning to do any overclocking yet, so the stock cooler should be fine.)
I picked up a Ryzen 5 1400 and Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H mobo, and I'm probably just going to use a 450W EVGA PSU, since they seem to be cheap around where I live. 450W should be more than enough to handle it, given that the graphics card is just an RX 460. It also turns out that cable management is surprisingly easy in the case, once I got some adhesive zip-tie mounting squares (or whatever they're called). It's interesting to be able to use the side panel for cable management, since it doesn't actually come off. I also still haven't gotten Dremel cutoff wheels, so my first bit of modding was done with vise-grips and a hammer
smile.gif
. Had to remove the old I/O shield from the motherboard tray, since it was all one unit, and also had to remove some metal from the power supply area since the IEC connector was in a different location. It actually might be fine to mount a fan on the bottom, as long as it's fairly slim. The original motherboard was sort of mATX, but had 5 expansion slots, so the space where the bottom slot was can be used for a fan, and should be okay. I might need to add some feet on the bottom of the case, as the bottom is basically flush to the ground. I'm kinda out of money for PC building for the month (working during school while also having to pay for insurance is a pain), so hopefully the price of DDR4 doesn't go up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts