Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

A couple of months ago I rebuilt my pc and I got it a new WD CAVIAR BLACK 1TB.

It's the only hard drive in my computer and it holds the operating system and everything.

I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate 7600 64BIT Installed and when I just leave my computer there on idle I can haer the HDD doing its thing. But it's extremely loud and annoying. But I'm not sure whats using the HDD or making it do that much activity on idle?????

Thanks.
+1

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
generally there are a few things that use the drive while your PC is idling:

Windows Search Indexing -- this indexes any new files so you can search quicker
Windows Automatic defrag -- usually only runs on a schedule on Wednesday Night or somthing
Windows Superfetch -- Automatically preloads data into memory to increase responsiveness..

There are a few others but those are the main ones

you can open Resource Monitor (Task Manager > Performance tab > Resource Monitor...)
Then change to the Disk tab, and you'll see which programs and files are being read/written.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDreadedGMan
View Post

generally there are a few things that use the drive while your PC is idling:

Windows Search Indexing -- this indexes any new files so you can search quicker
Windows Automatic defrag -- usually only runs on a schedule on Wednesday Night or somthing
Windows Superfetch -- Automatically preloads data into memory to increase responsiveness..

There are a few others but those are the main ones

you can open Resource Monitor (Task Manager > Performance tab > Resource Monitor...)
Then change to the Disk tab, and you'll see which programs and files are being read/written.

So it's normal?

Thanks man

1 - 4 of 4 Posts