Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi hows it goin, Just another noob here who built an expensive pc..
Purple Gadget Entertainment Audio equipment Home appliance

Computer Personal computer Computer hardware Entertainment Gadget

Still have to put RGB ram in it, currently have 2x8 = 16GB of 4000mhz patriot elite2
ASUS strix 3060.
10900x CPU
Corsair 1050 HX psu.
2tb nvme ssd
3tb SSD
8tb HDD nas.
MSI x299 pro 10g MOBO
Asus tuf gaming white case.
AOC 32 inch ultra wide curved 144hz monitor.
Corsair K68 mechanical keyboard.
corsair knightsword mouse..
Sondblaster SDB studio xFi external usb soundcard, hooked into a tube preamp, and out into a harmon kardon HK3490 reciever, and an onkyo AV tuner.
Technics japanese quality graphic equalizer.
Klipsch speakers, Peavey PA speakers. Behringer stack speaker. 400 watts RMS
PSB Alpha, center. speaker.

Individual speaker volume control, up to 12 speakers via PSLSW6 , Pyle usa.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,715 Posts
You should be aware that the old Corsair HX1050 has a very long and well known history for causing problems when they get older
Unless you meant to type HX 1000 and not HX 1050?

Other than the PSU its by no means a bad PC you got there

• Rep+
Reactions: c0d3dsk1lls

·
Turtle Rig Fan
2,652 Posts
Its hard to tell. Are you running 4x4 sticks for quad channel?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should be aware that the old Corsair HX1050 has a very long and well known history for causing problems when they get older
Unless you meant to type HX 1000 and not HX 1050?

Other than the PSU its by no means a bad PC you got there
yes, it is indeed an old HX1050, from 2011, however it was given to me as a gift from my dad, may I ask what sort of issues it has?

·
Senior OCN Member
41,715 Posts
yes, it is indeed an old HX1050, from 2011, however it was given to me as a gift from my dad, may I ask what sort of issues it has?
When they get old like yours is they has known problem of dying with little to no warning and even taking parts with it when it dies

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When they get old like yours is they has known problem of dying with little to no warning and even taking parts with it when it dies
well, this one has been in a sealed box since 2011 however I might get a spare one incase tho, and just give this one to my little brother.
Any psu suggestions? this is a beast of a pc so needs something beefy/.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,715 Posts
well, this one has been in a sealed box since 2011 however I might get a spare one incase tho, and just give this one to my little brother.
Any psu suggestions? this is a beast of a pc so needs something beefy/.
Your PC does not actually draw all that much power and a 650 watt could power that system with no problems even with OC
You can buy bigger if you want but anything more than an 850 watt is way overkill for that system

The Seasonic Focus GX/PX or the EVGA G6 / Phanteks AMP / Asus Strix which are Seasonic Focus rebrands are options and so is the Corsair RMx or the Super Flower Leadex III
If you want something better there is the Seasonic Prime series or the Corsair AX which are Seasonic Prime rebrands and so is the Antec Signature Titanium and Asus Thor

There is also the Be Quiet Straight Power and Dark Power series or the Fractal Design Ion series
None of those are bad options

• Love

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your PC does not actually draw all that much power and a 650 watt could power that system with no problems even with OC
You can buy bigger if you want but anything more than an 850 watt is way overkill for that system

The Seasonic Focus GX/PX or the EVGA G6 / Phanteks AMP / Asus Strix which are Seasonic Focus rebrands are options and so is the Corsair RMx or the Super Flower Leadex III
If you want something better there is the Seasonic Prime series or the Corsair AX which are Seasonic Prime rebrands and so is the Antec Signature Titanium and Asus Thor

There is also the Be Quiet Straight Power and Dark Power series or the Fractal Design Ion series
None of those are bad options
Anyway I can tell how much total power my system is drawing? im curious now

·
Senior OCN Member
41,715 Posts
Anyway I can tell how much total power my system is drawing? im curious now
You can buy what is called a kill a watt but remember to take stuff like the monitor and other device off the outlet when you measure
Also note that you have to take the rated efficiency of your PSU off any number you get since you lose a little bit of power when you are converting from wall power to PC power

If your PC draws say 500 watts from the wall and you have a 80 plus gold rated PSU you have to take 8% off the number which means your PC is using 460 watts and not 500 watts since 8% is lost

• Rep+

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can buy what is called a kill a watt but remember to take stuff like the monitor and other device off the outlet when you measure
Also note that you have to take the rated efficiency of your PSU off any number you get since you lose a little bit of power when you are converting from wall power to PC power

If your PC draws say 500 watts from the wall and you have a 80 plus gold rated PSU you have to take 8% off the number which means your PC is using 460 watts and not 500 watts since 8% is lost
LOL too much work for me!! im lazy :D plus I have a mess of wires behind my desk!!! so much AV equipment. unless i run an extension cord or something to my pc..

·
Senior OCN Member
41,715 Posts
  • Rep+

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you know how power they draw you can just take that off the number you get
Or like you said run the PC on another outlet with an extension cord

This is what a kill a watt looks like a costs

$15 to 60 CAD depending how how fancy you want it to be
thankyou so much for your advice, I will surely buy a kill o watt, most likely the cheap one cause i dont see the difference, I will only use it once most likely.

·
OG
4,115 Posts
thankyou so much for your advice, I will surely buy a kill o watt, most likely the cheap one cause i dont see the difference, I will only use it once most likely.
You'd be surprised what you start plugging into them when you get one. Lol

• Rep+
1 - 14 of 14 Posts