Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a snowblind PC here is everything it comes with please let me know if you need more information I don't want to go crazy I just want to overclock anything I can safely please help thank you.

Case iBUYPOWER Snowblind Element

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Processor (6x 3.70GHz/12MB L3 Cache)

Processor Cooling Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler -

Standard 120mm Fan

Memory 16GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3000 Memory

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti - 11GB - Asus Turbo (VR-Ready) - Single Card

Motherboard GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI-- RGB Fusion, 3x PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.1 Gen2, 6x USB 3.1 Gen1 [Intel Optane Ready]

Power Supply 800 Watt
M.2/PCI-E SSD Card 256GB ADATA SX6000

NVME SSD
Primary Hard Drive 1 TB Hard Drive -- 32MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Data Hard Drive 2 TB HARD DRIVE 7200RPM

Operating System Windows 10

Thermal Paste Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
opps sorry I see you already got your hardware

so I will edit what I say with regards to OCing

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Air coolers actually perform better than AIO coolers at a lower price point, I have a hard time recommending an AIO unless it's a small form factor.

What PSU? It's extremely important to get one with quality guts instead of a "quality" name.
http://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/183810-faq-recommended-power-supplies.html

What are your goals for this rig? What sort of monitor are you trying to run? That's a lot of money to spend when new GPU's and chips are around the corner (likely in a few months).

I just realized you said you've already bought it. A 120mm AIO isn't any better than a $30 low end 212 Evo, especially once it's heated up but you should get some decent clock speed out of it.
As @feznz stated, unless you need the hyperthreading the 8600k is a better choice for the price. If all you do is game you'll be hardpressed to see any difference except for heavily CPU bound games (most aren't).

But none of this matters if you already bought a prebuilt with all this stuff in it.

The most important thing now is what PSU is in there?

You'll also be needing to read this several times:
http://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1621347-kaby-lake-overclocking-guide-statistics.html

Do not use the auto overclocking feature unless you want an unreasonably high voltage and thus temps plus faster degradation of the CPU.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If you're just coming to PC now and wanting to overclock straight away, might I remind you that it can be a huge headache and will probably cause you more stress than the extra 1-5fps is even worth:

- Some games just simply do not get any gains from an overclock

- Some games can become unstable after an overclock, even if your OC is stable and you're getting good temps.

- GPU overclocking can cause artefacts in some games, even if the OC is stable on others.

- There is no guaranteed 100% safe overclock. With overclocking you're always taking some kind of a risk.

I've been overclocking and gaming for the last 15 years trying to push my systems to the max, and most of the time I've seen barely any gains for all the troubleshooting and tinkering, whilst it is fun for me from a hobby perspective, if you're just doing it because you think it will make your games run better, it really isn't worth it; but if you actually end up enjoying it, and have fun, then yes, overclocking is for you.

I tend to run at stock clocks now when I'm gaming, unless there is that one game that dips below an acceptable frame-rate, I usually don't bother. I save my OC profile in the BIOS and load it up when I feel like a game isn't performing as well as it should.

You actually have a better PC than I. I'm only running a 6700k + MSI Armor OC GTX 1080. I bought all my parts second hand for an absolute steal because the Mrs would kill me if I paid full-price as I run a side business building gaming PC's so she knows how much a 1080ti is as I've had a fair few of them! Hahaha! I even have a PG348Q 3440x1440p monitor I picked up brand new boxed for £500, that I can still make quite good use of even without a 1080ti, so I doubt you'll run into any games you can't run.

If you still feel you want to overclock, I'm sure we'll all help you here! Follow that guide first, if you get stuck, post plenty of pictures of your BIOS configuration and we'll get to the bottom of it and get you a nice stable OC.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I recently purchased a snowblind PC here is everything it comes with please let me know if you need more information I don't want to go crazy I just want to overclock anything I can safely please help thank you.

Case iBUYPOWER Snowblind Element

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Processor (6x 3.70GHz/12MB L3 Cache)

Processor Cooling Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler -

Standard 120mm Fan

Memory 16GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3000 Memory

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti - 11GB - Asus Turbo (VR-Ready) - Single Card

Motherboard GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI-- RGB Fusion, 3x PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.1 Gen2, 6x USB 3.1 Gen1 [Intel Optane Ready]

Power Supply 800 Watt
M.2/PCI-E SSD Card 256GB ADATA SX6000

NVME SSD
Primary Hard Drive 1 TB Hard Drive -- 32MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Data Hard Drive 2 TB HARD DRIVE 7200RPM

Operating System Windows 10

Thermal Paste Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste
Dude. Dont waste your time. Unless you really are into OCing I rather spend the time playing games. The improvement in FPS will be negligible.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Dude. Dont waste your time. Unless you really are into OCing I rather spend the time playing games. The improvement in FPS will be negligible.
Exactly man! Hence my post :) Thanks for backing it up!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
OCing the CPU at least will have a huge impact on a games performance if the game doesn't use a whole lot of threads like 4 or less, which today is few, but there are still terrible game code out there like PUBG that will see a nice boost if you OC the CPU.

That said an 8700k boosts to 4.7Ghz i think on all cores?

Realistically you can push it to 5ghz without much effort and get about a 6% gain, in which case its not as big a gain as older k processors that had boost clocks of like 4ghz or lower and you could give them a whole 1Ghz OC and see a big chunk of performance gain.

So really with a high end system like that as others have said dont even bother OCing especially if you're new to PC gaming, only OC if you're unhappy with the out of the box performance, which if you're coming from a console you'll have a really low bar and be thrilled with what that machine can do at stock settings.

EDIT: One more thing, OCing the GPU can show big gains as well, but again these new CPUs and GPUs already come from the factory pushing really close to their limits leaving little headroom to OC them. My Zotac 1080 boosts to 2k on the core out of the box and i cant push it more than 50Mhz before it starts to artifact.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
OCing the CPU at least will have a huge impact on a games performance if the game doesn't use a whole lot of threads like 4 or less, which today is few, but there are still terrible game code out there like PUBG that will see a nice boost if you OC the CPU.

That said an 8700k boosts to 4.7Ghz i think on all cores? <<<<<<<<<<<<< See Below

Realistically you can push it to 5ghz without much effort and get about a 6% gain, in which case its not as big a gain as older k processors that had boost clocks of like 4ghz or lower and you could give them a whole 1Ghz OC and see a big chunk of performance gain.

So really with a high end system like that as others have said dont even bother OCing especially if you're new to PC gaming, only OC if you're unhappy with the out of the box performance, which if you're coming from a console you'll have a really low bar and be thrilled with what that machine can do at stock settings.

EDIT: One more thing, OCing the GPU can show big gains as well, but again these new CPUs and GPUs already come from the factory pushing really close to their limits leaving little headroom to OC them. My Zotac 1080 boosts to 2k on the core out of the box and i cant push it more than 50Mhz before it starts to artifact.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3077-explaining-coffee-lake-turbo-8700k-8600k

For more information on 8700k turbo boost.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
We might have the first thread on OCN where we all agree.
Overclocking is either a hobby or a requisite IMO.
If you love tinkering with it then go for it, I think delidding and the whole thing is fun...assuming the PSU is good.

Or if you can't meet your goals overclocking can be a good way to get there.

Its funny, if he were asking about low end chips people would be saying he should go for the K haha.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
We might have the first thread on OCN where we all agree.
Overclocking is either a hobby or a requisite IMO.
If you love tinkering with it then go for it, I think delidding and the whole thing is fun...assuming the PSU is good.

Or if you can't meet your goals overclocking can be a good way to get there.

Its funny, if he were asking about low end chips people would be saying he should go for the K haha.
All of this, in a nutshell. I'd rep you but I can't. Hahahaha!

·
waifu for lifu
11,326 Posts
Considering you just bought yourself a top of the line rig, oc'in doesnt make sense imo, especially if you've never done it before. Like the members here have said, you may break something in your eagerness to oc. What ever small gains you might get its not worth the potential damage to the system. You did not list a monitor. If you're going to go PCMR all the way. I'd suggest a high res / high hz monitor. Have fun. Do you have a list of games yet? I'm sure members can recommend some great ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the help I never expected so many responses I hope I made at least a decent purchase again it's my first time for $2200 I feel it wasn't horrible I just wanted something really good I also want to start programing and possibly working with VR the monitor I have is the Dell Alienware Ultrawide it is 3440x1440 and 120hz refresh rate as long as I can get that refresh rate with this resolution then I will be okay not having it overclocked if I can't get that then maybe I will look into overclocking more again appreciate all the advice this forum seems very helpful

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
You should at least try it stock.
While the card and CPU can run 1440p at 120hz you may find that some games will dip below that 120fps mark. Personally I'd run you FPS games at 120fps and more graphically demanding story driven games at 60fps with motion blur if 120 fps is problematic.
With a 1080 TI at 120 fps the CPU may be thing that causes the dips.
Usually you can turn down stuff that makes no difference to ease up on the GPU but the more frames you need the higher the load on the CPU.

Odds are you'll find that the graphics on some of the better games are so nice you won't really care if it's 120 or 60.
Crysis3 is still demanding but even though it's fast paced I found 60fps very pleasant.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thank you all for the help I never expected so many responses I hope I made at least a decent purchase again it's my first time for $2200 I feel it wasn't horrible I just wanted something really good I also want to start programing and possibly working with VR the monitor I have is the Dell Alienware Ultrawide it is 3440x1440 and 120hz refresh rate as long as I can get that refresh rate with this resolution then I will be okay not having it overclocked if I can't get that then maybe I will look into overclocking more again appreciate all the advice this forum seems very helpful
Nice monitor I mis-read your first post and top spec rig I don't see many problems running most games at a good 120hz

I look at OCing as you will find it a PITA or addicting but reality is that you will only squeeze another 20% if you are a really good OCer 10% if you go for safe OC

If you are struggling to get the FPS sometimes you are better to turn down some of the settings in game to achieve a nice FPS or consider SLI your PSU should handle it with a slight OC

Air coolers actually perform better than AIO coolers at a lower price point, I have a hard time recommending an AIO unless it's a small form factor.

What PSU? It's extremely important to get one with quality guts instead of a "quality" name.
http://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/183810-faq-recommended-power-supplies.html
yes first morning should have had a coffee first :doh:

I just looked at that PSU list I would out of experience say 3 of those PSU on the list I had fail within an average 3 years the Enermax Maxrevo 1500w two fail 1 replaced under warrantee and the corsair hx850 spent 3 years in the closet before using as a media PC PSU failed using just the IGPU threw it out found the receipt to find it still under warrantee :mad:

I now look at the length of warrantee as the most important deciding factor I just have no idea but 6 PSU fail in 10 years the other 2 were OCZ under warrantee and a SH coolmaster so they don't really count

1 - 14 of 14 Posts