Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My introduction into computers came many many years ago using a dumb terminal and UNIX. I've probably forgotten more about UNIX than I ever knew and I didn't know very much.

I bought my first PC back in '91. It was a 386sx 25. Not a real rocket even in those days. Ah, DOS, Win3.0. I'm still a DOS hound even now.

I've got an Associates Degree in Applied Electronics. I worked for ten years in television manufacturing as an assembly line supervisor. I never really got to play with the hardware end of the business. Mostly managed people.

I did spend a few years wearing the blue shirt at a major electronics retailer as a service technician. Mostly there I did computer work, but also filled in as AV tech when they weren't around. That probably wasn't a good job match for me. Lot's of angry customers and teenaged fellow employees.

Now I'm doing something totally different for a living. But it's given me back my electronics hobby. I'm just now getting back to where computers are fun again.

I have a new PC under construction. I'm not sure what's going to be in it as of this post. Intel for sure. The rest of the details? I don't know. You can follow along with my progress, or the lack thereof, in my blog.

My other hobbies are 19th century American history, astronomy, and nature photography.

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rennix

My introduction into computers came many many years ago using a dumb terminal and UNIX. I've probably forgotten more about UNIX than I ever knew and I didn't know very much.

I bought my first PC back in '91. It was a 386sx 25. Not a real rocket even in those days. Ah, DOS, Win3.0. I'm still a DOS hound even now.

I've got an Associates Degree in Applied Electronics. I worked for ten years in television manufacturing as an assembly line supervisor. I never really got to play with the hardware end of the business. Mostly managed people.

I did spend a few years wearing the blue shirt at a major electronics retailer as a service technician. Mostly there I did computer work, but also filled in as AV tech when they weren't around. That probably wasn't a good job match for me. Lot's of angry customers and teenaged fellow employees.

Now I'm doing something totally different for a living. But it's given me back my electronics hobby. I'm just now getting back to where computers are fun again.

I have a new PC under construction. I'm not sure what's going to be in it as of this post. Intel for sure. The rest of the details? I don't know. You can follow along with my progress, or the lack thereof, in my blog.

My other hobbies are 19th century American history, astronomy, and nature photography.

Welcome to the boards rennix! Before you invest yourself completely in Intel you should check out what AMD has to offer ^_^.
Feel free to post any of your questions about parts/assembly, as we have many people more then willing to help =)
Check out our FAQ/[email protected] section, there's TONS of useful info just waiting to be read lol.
Enjoy your stay here

·
OG
1,622 Posts
Welcome Dude hope you enjoy this forum(lots of great ppl here).As the others have stated you'll probaly wanna go AMD once you see what they have to offer.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Welcome to Overclock.net!!

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Hi and WELCOME to the Forum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts