Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...its been a ling time since i have made a post...weel to start my old faithfull rig is now showing to show its age alot...
So i dont have alot of money for my first upgrade. I am thinking a new gpu would be a good start. But wow there has been soo many new things i really dont know where i should even start. I have ablout 400 canadian to spend.
I am still gaming on my old dell moniter that tops out at 1080p...so my next gpu i want to be capable to run 4 k (maybe not max settings,would be nice)when i get my next monitor.. I play alot of fps amd racing games so high fps is a must.
So rather than go for the best gpu which is a insane price...i dont even know what level of gpu would be a good start.
Can you guys give me the best option for a gpu...i have always like nvidia. Currently have a gigabyte super overclock 970 ha ha....its bout 5 years old or more.
Thanks to all who take the time to help guide me...i know i need to spend some time researching myself...but really i have to upgrade everything i think...possible to keep my power supply and motherboard and case...but ram, cpu and gpu are needed badly...

·
Senior OCN Member
41,054 Posts
Have you not heard that there is a gobal GPU shortage so you cant buy a GPU not unless you want to pay at least 50% over MRSP and/or have to wait weeks if not months
Your old GTX 970 is worth more today than when you bought it 5 years ago due to the shortage

About the only GPU thats easy to find is the GT 1030 and one of the cheapest is the GTX 750 Ti and both are worse than what you already have
Forget about a new GPU before Q4 2021 and you might have to wait as long as another year so save the GPU for last and upgrade everything else first and not later

If you want a GPU one of the better solutions besides being ripped off or waiting is buying a pre built machine and take the GPU out of that

• Rep+
Reactions: Sir Beregond

·
Robocop is #1 movie ever
2,197 Posts
Yeah, this is true. Start saving money now by continuing to use what you have and wait for the shortage to be over. That or learn how to write a bot for buying from as soon as they list.
There is a twitch channel with a guy named falcodrin who runs a bot that shows stock. You could watch his channel. GPUs do come up and people there get them. I gave up after a month of trying to get a 3090 and resigned myself to another year with my Titan XPs.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If high fps is desirable maybe suggest that 4k not ideal but that depending on games. As others mention gpu way overprice and short supply now. The idea of recycle old video card for now sounds good and someday we be able to guy the gpu's again. For me I'm wondering what prices will look like that day. :)

·
WaterCooler
4,304 Posts
So i dont have alot of money for my first upgrade. I am thinking a new gpu would be a good start. But wow there has been soo many new things i really dont know where i should even start. I have ablout 400 canadian to spend.
I take it you have not been following the current supply/demand issues with GPUs. If your rig is still working for now (i.e. not broken and is functional), you are much better off saving money and trying for a GPU several months from now, or maybe even next year or later.

It is impossible to just go online and order up what you want right now, and GPUs have inflated way past their MSRPs. You are not getting anything for $400 in the current market except for stuff probably worse than your 970 or at best a side grade.

In regards to your other upgrade question, you didn't say what CPU, motherboard, PSU, etc. you have so I cannot say. I'll assume they are as old as your 970 (similar to my 980 rig in my sig). You might as well start saving now for new CPU/mobo/RAM to go with a new GPU if you want to get into 4k in the future and high 4k FPS is a must. Though if high FPS is your primary goal, then I wouldn't bother with 4k personally.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi all...its been a ling time since i have made a post...weel to start my old faithfull rig is now showing to show its age alot...
So i dont have alot of money for my first upgrade. I am thinking a new gpu would be a good start. But wow there has been soo many new things i really dont know where i should even start. I have ablout 400 canadian to spend. - I am still gaming on my old dell moniter that tops out at 1080p...so my next gpu i want to be capable to run 4 k (maybe not max settings,would be nice)when i get my next monitor.. I play alot of fps amd racing games so high fps is a must. - i know i need to spend some time researching myself...but really i have to upgrade everything i think...possible to keep my power supply and motherboard and case...but ram, cpu and gpu are needed badly...
You have some good advice from others. It is true that now is a horrible time to buy a GPU, prices are high. I bought MSI's top end RTX 3090 SUPRIM X video card for $1780 on the last day of December 2020, now they run $3,000 to $3,500 U.S., and some people are asking over $4,000 U.S. I have seriously thought about selling this card however after selling my 2080 my back-up card is a GTX 970.

Regarding gaming, I do not suggest that you play at 4K. I have a 55" 4K screen and found that I don't like to game at 4K because words on the screen are too small in some games. I game at 1440p I know, my rig is over kill, I get over 400FPS in World of Warships. I bought the 3090 because it was all I could get my hands on. Sold my MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio for $650 and thought I was doing good to take a slight loss from the original price, had I only known...

Depending upon what video card you get, you will most likely need to buy a HIGH QUALITY power supply. Prices on pre-builts are going up, and only God knows how high they will get. A friend of mine tried getting a rig with a 3060 Ti in it from Best Buy and could not get one even though they were in stock when he made his orders. Currently AMD make the most energy efficient CPUs and GPUs, make sure your case is big enough for the new card and there is good air flow. If you wanted to build your own rig, with last year's prices it would cost you about $3,000 Canadian to build a high end rig with an RTX 3080, not a 3090. Get at least 32GB of RAM. Note that next year new CPUs that use DDR5 are supposed to be released and for some time RAM prices will be high. Right now DDR4 prices are going up, everything is going up. If I were you I would seriously look at a pre-built AMD 8 core CPU and an upper mid-range video card or an Intel i7 11700K and an RTX 3060 Ti and game at 1440p with a 32 inch 16 by 9 monitor. 1440 will be here for several years, Microsoft has not done a good job supporting 4K, especially with on-screen text.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I really don't know what you are going to buy with 325 USD, but ok ....and we also don't know what hardware are you using right now, beside the gtx 970 ....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts