Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Overdrive
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live near Cape Canaveral, a retired NASA engineer.

I have some experience years back building Amiga and Intel boxes, but am out of date on much of current tech. I wanted to build a fast video editing and VR machine, but found I could get a maxed-out Aurora R7 (8700K and 1080 Ti) for near the same cost, with recent discounts. It has some settings capability, but I want to push the machine harder.

This site seems ideal, and I'll be doing a lot of reading. Glad to join you guys.

·
Dark and Dropped SUV
4,045 Posts
Hello and welcome to OCN.

·
Overdrive
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I hope I did the right thing with the 1080 Ti; I didn't realize that G-sync monitors cost a fat premium over free sync. Waiting next few days for a cheapie ET322QK 4K monitor to use for now (non-gaming), And a PCIe NVMe 512GB drive and more ram; these seemed cheaper to get separately.

·
Registered
231 Posts
welcome!!! and i am going too buy a 1080 TI, the 1080 TI will last a long time, just like 980 for me, and the PCIe NMVe 512GB drive there super fast... i am just waiting around tell corsair releases there 2TB one.

·
Overdrive
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The SSD is a Samsung M961 512GB. I tested it with PassMark; gave it a 20,000 rating. Much faster than M.2 SATA ssd on other box.

I like the monitor. Runs 4K DirectX12 test in PassMark smoothly at 65 fps. But that's all she got. GPU hits 62 deg C.

Having trouble buying more 2933 speed ram from Dell/Alienware - no stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts