Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Before buying anything it's wise to make a thread so you don't end up with a mediocre PSU or spend too much money on RAM when a cheaper kit would offer the exact same performance, coolers are another place where it's easy to get dooped. I wish I'd made a thread when I put my rig together lol.

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Before buying anything it's wise to make a thread so you don't end up with a mediocre PSU or spend too much money on RAM when a cheaper kit would offer the exact same performance, coolers are another place where it's easy to get dooped. I wish I'd made a thread when I put my rig together lol.
^^^ This x 10, never cheap out on a PSU or Motherboard, rest you can budget out on for the most part depending on what you want to do.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
^^^ This x 10, never cheap out on a PSU or Motherboard, rest you can budget out on for the most part depending on what you want to do.
Well price on the PSU wasn't exactly what I was getting at as mine cost $60. The point (for the OP, not you) was that you can have two $60 PSUs with similar specs, both with the same branding and one could be great and the other could be absolute trash.
Mobos are another thing you'd want peoples opinions on, sometimes you could end up paying more for a board with a weaker VRM than one that was $30 less.

My main point is all these manufacturers have marketing departments that are really good at their jobs and you just can't trust them to tell you that their competitor is actually the better value or quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I’ve pretty much already bought everything except for a CPU cooler where I do need advice on one. Here’s what I’ve got

Cougar Panzer Mid Tower
Ryzen 2600
Gigabyte x470 gaming 5
Gigabyte 1070 windforce oc (got it for 300)
PNY Anarchy-X DDR4 16gb 3200Mhz(got it for 100)
Samsung 960 EVO Series M.2
WD Blue 2TB HDD
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1, 80+ GOLD 650W, Fully Modular(70.00)

Need a CPU Cooler

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,429 Posts
Well I’ve pretty much already bought everything except for a CPU cooler where I do need advice on one. Here’s what I’ve got

Cougar Panzer Mid Tower
Ryzen 2600
Gigabyte x470 gaming 5
Gigabyte 1070 windforce oc (got it for 300)
PNY Anarchy-X DDR4 16gb 3200Mhz(got it for 100)
Samsung 960 EVO Series M.2
WD Blue 2TB HDD
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1, 80+ GOLD 650W, Fully Modular(70.00)

Need a CPU Cooler
All depends on your budget for a cooler, best price/performance air cooler one would be a hyper 212 evo. For an AIO my fav would be a Corsair H100 or any equivalent 240mm NZXT, 120’s tend to perform about on par with a midrange air cooler and would not be worth it for what they sell for.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
You actually picked pretty well.
As for a cooler I'd get something good the first time around so you'll always have the best cooling even if you need to change builds. Plus with overclocking and boost there's no such thing as too cool.
I'd get a Noctua D15 or Cryorig R1. I'm sure there are equally good options for less but I'm not one of the guys that studies each cooler that comes out lol.

On the cheaper side you can get a H5 or H7 for the same price as a little 212...there are several others too.

I wouldn't get an AIO unless you get a 280mm+ since temps will pretty much be the same as a good air cooler. There's a ton of variables comparing any CLC to any air cooler. They can be dead even on an 8700k then a few C different on an 8 core. I've never seen a difference big enough to hit the next multiplier but wether it's worth it or not is totally up to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts