Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my great uncle is after a laptop and has convinced himself that he simply can't go without an i5 and is willing to spend a lot (he didnt say specifically £600 ($950USD) but I got the impression it was around that or more), however all he uses his computer for is spreadsheets, word documents, email and the like. No gaming, no movies, no interactive content at all but perhaps some music.

So I came on here wondering if you guys could help me suggest a laptop for him. I've been looking on http://scan.co.uk as I've personally used it before and found it to be reliable. Also I was thinking about introducing him to Linux (Ubuntu distro along with open office) as he's never used windows before and would have to learn something new anyway.

So what budget, processor, etc do you guys think is actually realistic? Suggestions much appreciated! Cheers

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Nothing wrong with wanting a strong processor, no matter the task. Things will be snappier. I like linux, personally, but it can present some hassle for someone who just can't be bothered googling things constantly to get basic stuff to work. It's better than it used to be, but issues do pop up a lot more than Win7 where everything is all nice and handed to you. Some of us find the tinkering fun, but many people will just get frustrated.

An i5 probably won't be a huge difference from an i3, but if that difference is psychological, it's real enough for his enjoyment of his purchase. You should be able to get something in that price range or well under that will still be quite nice. At least I think so. Not sure what availability and prices are like outside my little secluded world state-side.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts