Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I recently bought a corsair obsidian 800d and I thought the top fans were 140 mm so I bought a Thermochill Triple 140 mm Radiator (PA140.3)

I have never modded a case before and dont have the tools to do it or don't know which one to use. If you have any idea how I can mod the top of the case (as shown) To make fit a 140 triple radiator. also tell me the tools to use. I need tips to make the cleanest job because this case is gonna be awsome, but I made a mistake so instead of returning the items , I want to make it fit there.

Thank you
LL

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any help, maybe I can cut a hole and put this Rad Grill on top of the case to make it fit, what do you think

Stealth Bump

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Is that rad grill 120 and 140? If so couldn't you mount that to the case then mount the rad to that so its acts as a sort of adaptor?

• Rep+
Reactions: KaRLiToS

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YAh man that a great idea, but I dont know if the screw fill fit??between the case and rad grill... Also, if I do that, will I reduce my airflow a little bit? Or its not that bad, I'll have fans on both sides

thanx

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Individual View Post
I would just mod it and mount the one you have if your heart is really set on using that rad.
I prefer modding it too, but I have never modded before

I nned to know how to mod it and what tools to use, I provided the top of the case picture and the fan grill, how can I mod that?

Thanks

Karl

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
For something like this, you'll only need 4 things:

- A jigsaw, to make the cuts
- A drill, to make the initial hole for you to put the jigsaw blade in and to make the screw holes to mount it
- Painter's tape or masking tape, to cover the top panel so that the jigsaw doesn't leave any marks on the finish
- A pen, to mark out where you want to cut

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Here, this is my mod to put a quad 120mm rad in, for reference. Please excuse the jagged cuts, I was doing it late at night and felt bad because I might have woken the neighbors with the sound, so I hurried.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manyak View Post
For something like this, you'll only need 4 things:

- A jigsaw, to make the cuts
- A drill, to make the initial hole for you to put the jigsaw blade in and to make the screw holes to mount it
- Painter's tape or masking tape, to cover the top panel so that the jigsaw doesn't leave any marks on the finish
- A pen, to mark out where you want to cut
Or a drill and drill-bit. Also, don't forget to use tape to prevent damaging your paint job on the areas you won't be modding.

Watch this video for how to install custom fan holes.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...43/7wGlWZ24QsE

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Personally, I would just return the 140mm one and get a 120mm one. You have a larger variety of high performance fans to choose from that way as well. The performance difference between the two will be completely un-noticeable. I actually purchase a triple 140 and ended up returning it and getting a quad 120 instead. The 140 would have fit but I was able to get the 120x38mm panaflos for the 120. They are very fast, silent fans.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh damm guys, THANX a lot for your answer

With all your answer I decided to do it like this (with the tips you gave me and tools suggestions) +rep for everyone

What do you think about these modifications ( I didnt figure out how to pass the wires of the fan inside the case? )

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
I assume those ovals in the top left diagram are supposed to be screw holes....

Either way, you need to check the clearance inside the case, I'm not so sure you'll be able to fit the res there. Your rad will extend into the drive bay area because it's longer than the 3x120mm rad that the case was made for, so most likely it'll block off part of the top drive bays.

That's why I used that shroud that lifts the fans higher than the case roof.

This is with it placed on the top of a case (this was in an ATCS 840). Notice how it basically needs 3 drive bays of clearance.

This is in the 800D, with the shroud lifting it up. Normally it would take up two drive bays just like in the ATCS, but I can now fit anything into the top drive bay. But of course I still leave it with just a fan controller (so it's basically open) for airflow.

Your rad isn't as long as mine, but you still need to check what kind of clearance you can get.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manyak
View Post

Here, this is my mod to put a quad 120mm rad in, for reference. Please excuse the jagged cuts, I was doing it late at night and felt bad because I might have woken the neighbors with the sound, so I hurried.

Do you think I can get a shroud like your to install with my ThermoChill Pa140.3 . If I see correctly with this shroud...Do you Add the Fans Under your Grills or ON your Grills, and the screw on the edge (not the fan grill screw but the other screw on the border of the shroud) You have to make the holes in the case ? I think I'll use this shroud if it works and I'll put the Fan on top of this Shroud!?!?!

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
They only make this shroud for 120mm rads, not 140mm ones.

But yes if you look at another picture in that post you'll see the cuts and the screw holes that had to be put in.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No they do it for 3x140mm

Look

Quote:
Koolance radiator and fan shroud, designed for 3 x 140mm fans. High quality, brushed and anodized aluminum with polymer side rails. Mounting bushings and bolts are included. Dimensions: 18.9" x 7.95" x 1.18" (48cm x 20.2cm x 3cm).
http://www.koolance.com/water-coolin...product_id=984

So if I cut a hole to make that Shroud Fit, my problem will be fixed, My thermochill 3x140mm (PA140.3) Radiator is gonna fit well with that shroud

PS To me its like a Radiator Bracket ?!?!?!

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, if you say so, which 120 MM radiator should I get. I want it to be 60 mm thick!?!?!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts