Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's hoping I can get some advice from a few of the pros around here.

I have recently upgraded my rig, got an ASUS ROG Swift and two Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 cards so that I can max fun in 1440p. The issue being, I didn't look ahead to anticipate temperature problems in SLI.

My case is a 800D - a notoriously difficult/bad case for air cooling. I always meant to go to water cooling down the road, as of now my CPU is on an Antec 920 Kuhler. But my 970's are air cooled pretty standardized.

I have some upgraded case fans (XSPC Xinrulians) and until now I never had much an issue with GPU temps (previously ran a GTX 680 solo card, which only had high temps due to OC). I'm finding that my GPU1 is idling high 30's to high 40's, the bottom one being 10-20 degrees C lower depending on idle or load.

What I don't want to do - blow $750-1k on a custom loop. Even though I know I might be there soon/someday, I have some serious saving to do real-life wise right now that makes that my last resort.

I'm trying to figure out a solution to cool the case down more. My idea:

-Switch my CPU Kuhler setup to move the rad from the top to the back, in exhaust flow.
-Get a few better case fans for intake at the 3 120mm top fan slots (maybe Corsair SP120s, or Noctua NF-F12).
-Install a Lian-Li 120mm case shroud for the 5.25" triple bay, and add a front intake.
-Jerry-Rig some sort of internal fan option over the SLI slot to increase airflow between the 970's.
-Order some slotted expansion slot brackets for the back so that heat/air can exhaust out the vented slots, as my G1's do not vent externally.

Everything short of whipping off the 800D side, and sticking a home fan on it.

Any help or ideas/confirmation from you all would be so greatly appreciated. Dragon Age Inquisition in load is spiking my GPU1 temp to 80c. I'm not even sure what the limit/throttle point is for the 970, and it's not that I haven't done a google search looking for it (though I suspect it is in fact 80c / EDIT: I see it's 98c... wow ok...).

At this point if I could get the top card to stay under 75c in max load, I'd feel pretty good about my position in the interim. Otherwise then I'm looking at a lot of water cooling parts, and downtime for modifying the case because the 800D awesomely doesn't support a native 480 rad up top and needs TLC on the bottom to get a 240 rad down there.

Just a bit frustrated. Your help, so very appreciated.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You can mod the top card to be water cooled using the Kraken G10 bracket and a CLC of your choice.

Should run you around $100.

·
Registered
587 Posts
can we get a pic of your case without the side panel?

plus the temps on your cards are about normal for sli/crossfire. mine was running 50c top 40c idle and 75c top 65c load. but i moved some wires around and now it idles at 45c top 33c bottom with 54C idle and 64C load after the wires were moved so that i can get air in between the cards.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Same cards in SLI and same case, same temps for top card. 80 degrees isn't a problem, sure it's hot/warm but not a problem. Because it's summer here I do however leave the side door open.. I've got a good loop and always used blocks before but I just can't justify getting 2 for 970s.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pardon my dust... (grabbing the compressed air now...)

That's the setup - will answer any questions. Thanks for your help!

Side note: does the Kraken, or any closed loop GPU cooler have compatibility with the 970 (ref or non-ref)?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL! I just blew it all out with compressed air, it looks better.

That's a cover for the hotswap bay - I was thinking about setting up a fan on that with a filter to give some airflow right at the SLI setup.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLthrash View Post

Pardon my dust... (grabbing the compressed air now...)

That's the setup - will answer any questions. Thanks for your help!

Side note: does the Kraken, or any closed loop GPU cooler have compatibility with the 970 (ref or non-ref)?
This is a pretty easy fix really ... you need more fans.

Move your Antec 920 to the rear but as an intake (to keep cool air for your CPU temps, and to work towards positive pressure - don't forget a filter)

Install fans with dust filters to the bottom of your case (next to the PSU, and again directly above it), pushing fresh air up into the case.

Install 3x120mm fans on the top of the case in exhaust.

Basically you want to drive fresh air in from the bottom and direct all the airflow up, exhausting out of the top and hopefully taking all of the GPU's expelled air with it.

Finally, as above, you want to try and force some cool air in between your GPU's with a fan mount like Wooshna suggested. Should set you back about $50 in fans and cost you a little in noise, BUT, you will have fans ready to go for when you decide to water cool later.

I expect you'll be able to knock a good 5-10 degrees C off everything that way, perhaps more?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Something like this ...

·
Registered
587 Posts
i don't think you need a filter for the fan if your placing it right there.

it would be a good idea to put your CPU cooler on the back as intake and just set up your fans on top for exhaust that should help with your air flow.

something like this

just use your best fans as intake and your other fans as exhaust this should give you the best +air pressure and help with that dust.

BTW did you dust out your GPU's as well lol

heres my PC and air flow it does a good job of keeping my pc dust free i only dust every 2 months. though i do have 8 120mm fans as intake (1 in the back facing socket) and only my 200mm as exhaust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts