Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have a PC and a PS3 and have been trying to get PS3mediaserver to work. I recently put cat6a cables all through the house. My current router-modem from my ISP is a Siemens that also contains WLAN and connection for phone. But after attaching my PC to it it says 100N. So I think it only supports 100N while my PC has a gigabit port on the mobo.

Now what I really want is a 1000N LAN to transfer files between my PC and PS3 or in the future a Boxee mediaplayer.

I have read about a hub and a switch. Can someone explain to me the difference?
I just need something cheap I can connect to my router to get a gigait LAN network going.

I have seen these:

http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Hubs__en__Switches/Sweex/5_Port_Gigabit_Switch/553835/?

http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Hubs__en__Switches/SiteCom/LN-120_Gbit_Switch/440271/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Netwerk&l2=Hubs+%26+Switches

Can someone tell me what is true and what to recommend me?

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Hub technology is quite dated. It sends packets to all ports and causes network congestion, you want a switch.

Either of those will give you gigabit performance. You simply need to connect one port from your router into one port on your new switch. Then plug all your gigabit devices into your new switch.

It's really that easy.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay so that sitecom one should work like a charm then?

It won't take over all router work from the Siemens right? It will not make my wireless signal protest?

And will this switch again have a firewall? Does one need to portforward in that as well?

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
No portforwarding, no firewall, no wireless interaction. It simply adds ports to your network.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. and it makes my LAN go 1000N.

I am going to get that Sitecom. Don't need more than 5 ports anyway.

btw 2x +1 rep for your help
thumb.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts