Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an SSD as a gift, Intel 80gb. I installed an OEM windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my 1 tb WD caviar 7200rpm. I would like to cleanly reinstall it on my new ssd. What should I do? What will happen to my files in my current HDD? Do I need to erase the os files From the hDD and if yes how so? Sorry I'm still really new to this ms computer building in general (made my first build 1 month ago). Also say I do install it via the disk, it said single license so will the key work? Not too good with software sadly

·
Overclocker
2,284 Posts
You don't have to erase your files on your hdd, just make sure your ssd is main / primary drive then install your windows 7 ultimate x64. Also, make sure your 1tb is slave or secondary drive.

The key should work, if it doesn't activate just call it in them and they will give you your activation code.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hey man, welcome to OCN. The Windows License key is generally tied to your motherboard, so if you're not changing motherboards and only hard drives, you shouldn't have a problem. Besides, typically you're good for (IIRC) 3 installs on the same key before you have to call in. Anyhow, If you're planning on booting from the SSD and storing to the 1tb drive (I think I'm reading correctly that you previously installed windows to this drive), yes, wipe the drive first. You can use something like Killdisk to do it from a bootable environment. Do you have an external HDD you can backup files to before you wipe? Once you wipe with Killdisk, files are generally unretrievable.

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
I had the same sort of issue. Installed W7 on my old system. When I installed it on the new one I got the activation error. Easily fixed it by activating via the phone system. Should work for you just fine as well.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
1. Installing:
I suggest disconnecting your other HDD(s) and connect only the SSD and then install, this will prevent Windows from accidentally installing it's boot sector on the HDD or detecting your old copy of Windows and making a dual-boot setup.

2. Activation..
If it doesn't auto-activate, when you call in, if you're asked, you should say you are replacing "failed" hardware (the HDD), that way they won't be as confused.

3. After installing, you can reconnect your HDD, and make sure your BIOS still has the SSD as the first boot device (easiest to just put it on the first SATA port)

4. After reconnecting your HDD, it will become D: or E:... you can then remove files or reformat it if you desire... I suggest backing up what you want to keep, and then reformatting so you can reclaim all the hidden space and meta data that will be tucked away from the old copy of windows, but if you can't be bothered, or have no place to put a backup, you can simply delete the stuff you don't want, like the old Windows folder, and the old Program files folders...

If you have games and such, your save games will be in various places in and around your user folder and possibly even in the game folder itself (COD4 I'm looking at you lol)...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts