Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a few questions regarding my processor and overclocking.
I'm sure some of the questions might be stupid but bare with me since I'm new at this.

1) I currently have a stock Intel HSF that came with my P4 550, my question is that I managed to get my hands on a Zalman CNPS7000B for practically free; problem is this HSF doesn't fit on my socket 775 without buying some mounts. Would using this heatsink dramatically increase my CPUs cooling if I where to install it with the mounts of would it be more advisable to simple save up and buy something like an XP-90/XP120.

Right now my CPU's temps according to Everest and SpeedFan are 54 degrees Celsius and I think that if I overclocked it would be advisable to have something a little cooler as a base.

2) I read up on how all the overclocking works and so I went into the bios to check things out and see what was tweak able just as a way to familiarize myself.
Here's what I get

Is the CPU Dynamic Overclocking an option that is helping me overclock instead of having to change do all the changing myself?
If I change the CPU Dynamic Overclocking will I still have to set a memory divider?
Or anything else for that matter?
Any more input is appreciated.

* = refers to what options are available for me to change other that what is default at the moment, ex: High Performance Mode is at Manual, but Optimized is the other option available to me;

* = refers to what is grayed out in the bios; some are locked but those that are not have blue valuables underneath.

Please excuse if I come over as condescending, but I'm writing this in a way I can understand.
Specs are in sig.
Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Well I think that if you have a nice Zalman, you should buy some mounts as they cost little! Then, if the cooling does not suffice to your needs you can always upgrade to the XP series.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Yes, I suggest that you find the 775 Mount because I'm pretty sure that you will be able to get much lower temperatures if you use the zalman. Most aftermarket kits are better than stock heatsinks, I suspect a 5-7C Drop in temperatures. But if you decide you want to get another heatsink, I don't sugest the XP-120 or the XP-90, they are very good heatsinks, but for the best value, I suggest getting the Thermaltake Big Typhoon (http://newegg.com/ > Search for "Big Typhoon"). It's cheaper than the XP-120 and works better (from what I've read).

As for the overclocking, I don't suggest the auto overclocking software.

So...
  • Disable Dynamic Overclocking
  • For Memory, use 400MHz < Divider emplimented
  • Adjust CPU FSB Frequency: +5MHz, Apply, repeat step
  • Disable PCIexpress Dynamic Overclocking
  • Adjust PCIexpress frequency: 100MHz
  • Adjust CPU Voltage (V): 0.0500 (Every time the pc freezes / ceases to boot)
  • Adjust DDR Voltage (V): +0.10 (Every time the pc freezes / ceases to boot)
  • Adjust NB Voltage (V): don't adjust yet.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
One of the issues that a decent aftermarket cooler pointedly addresses is the temperature delta between the CPU at load and idle. The time it takes for the load temperature to reach idle temperature is a function of the delta created by the heatsink/fan assembly.

The stock Intel heatsink/fan assemblies do not drop very quickly and for overclocking when one reaches the maximals usually they wish to have a qucker drop to idle.

I would follow lightsources advice except I would not adjust the DDR/Chipset Voltage on pc freeze and reboot. If you have value dram, then I would set a divider to remove the dram out of the overclock equation, thus leaving you to only address the cpu overclock.

R

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Yes the Zalman would help a lot.

Btw, here are some tips:
*Set "Spread Spectum" to disabled
*Slowy raise the FSB, until it won't POST, then incearse voltage
*Make sure you have good airflow

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hi akhen,

I have a Zalman 7700cu in my gf's rig, which is even larger than the 7000. And in my two rigs, an xp90c and the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. The zalman is a decent cooler and does the job. The xp90c beats it by several degrees and is a really good cooler. But the Big Typhoon reigns and beats the xp90c by several more degrees. I wholeheartedly recommend the big typhoon to anyone, it's stock fan is extremely quite also, and still beat the xp90c when it had a good somewhat loud fan on it.

With all three of three of these coolers, I tried them all on each of my three cpu's in the house, and the results were consistent across the board. Anyway just thought I'd throw in my experiences with these three coolers. They are all good coolers though, but the typhoon is best. Good luck with whatever you get

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
My heatsink drops back to idle in under 3 minutes, its amazing how quick it drops. As soona s the application closes it starts to decrease. One thing to watch out for with a TT Big Typhoon is the size. IMO people are now underestimating the XP-90. With a good fan, you can find one for under 50 bucks, and I dropped temps of ~13c. Don't overlook this choice

·
Registered
208 Posts
i'm a good friend of kopi's and helped him install the XP. when doing so i noticed the size, being only 90mm it is 30mm smaller than the Big Typhoon. kopi has a midsized case and even at that we had to remove the power supply to attach the last clip. all i'm really saying is that the big typhoon is a HUGE fan and if you dont have the case to support it your out of luck. also the XP-90 is a great hs and with a high cfm fan can probably cool just as good as the big typhoon with its stock fan.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxter

also the XP-90 is a great hs and with a high cfm fan can probably cool just as good as the big typhoon with its stock fan.

Yea you're right about the size thing guys, the typhoon is quite a bit larger than the xp90c. But about the xp90c beating the typhoon with a good fan, in my experience no. I have a pretty high cfm fan on that xp90c, and the typhoon always beats it by several degrees, with it's stock 16db quiet as heck fan. Although I did put a 110cfm capable fan on the typhoon, and it got even better.
Granted the xp90c is great heatsink, and also smaller than the typhoon, but the typhoon is a better heatsink, hands down.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Whatchu doin in my Intel forums? lol..yeah roxters a good computer buddy of mine. My fan is ~70CFM, and it cools awesome. Its an amazing cooler, and most likely you will need a couple upgrades before hitting up the TT BT

·
Registered
953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kopi

Whatchu doin in my Intel forums? lol..yeah roxters a good computer buddy of mine. My fan is ~70CFM, and it cools awesome. Its an amazing cooler, and most likely you will need a couple upgrades before hitting up the TT BT

I have a lian li, regular sized case, and it fits. It's not a big case or anything. I know some cases it won't fit in, but many it will. You should check first before you go for the typhoon, but if it will fit, it's awesome.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akhen

would it be fine if I bought a Refurbished OEM version of the Typhoon for $37
instead of $51.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

I've never bought anything refurbed from newegg, but I know alot of people do buy refurb stuff like mobo's from them with good luck. Newegg is a good reputable company, I'm sure that would be fine to get a used one. If anything were missing or wrong with it, which I doubt, I'm sure they would return it for you with little hassle. I'd still spend $10 more to get a new one, but that's just personal preference, I like to have new stuff.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s been a while but anyways I bought a 775 Mount and installed the Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu and used AS5 for my thermal compound (a friends left over tube). Anyways I first checked the temps and they didn’t seem to change (from my stock HSF @ 50 idle) so I gave it some time. I had not used the computer much because of finals until now.
So anyways I boot up the comp tonight and I’m seeing 54C idle on SpeedFan a little high and the Zalman is actually pretty noisy (I understand they are quiet?). So to suppress the noise I closed the side of my case which has an 80mm outtake. Now that time I actually saw 78C, so I quickly turned off my computer and upon next boot I used a extra fan with my case open and things got back to around 45.
I am now seeing 42C idle (with my case open, but no extra fan) but as soon as I boot up a game it sky rockets to 59C, have not really gamed more than 10 minutes - afraid the temps would go up even higher.

Any ideas or recommendations on the situation, like I have in my original post I do plan on overclocking so I want to get all these heat issues settled before I start?
I also don’t want to have to reseat the Zalman only as a last resort because
A) No more AS5, just basic thermal grease
B) Requires taking out the entire motherboard and computer apart.

thanks again

·
Registered
953 Posts
Quote:

It's been a while but anyways I bought a 775 Mount and installed the Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu and used AS5 for my thermal compound (a friends left over tube). Anyways I first checked the temps and they didn't seem to change (from my stock HSF @ 50 idle) so I gave it some time. I had not used the computer much because of finals until now.
So anyways I boot up the comp tonight and I'm seeing 54C idle on SpeedFan a little high and the Zalman is actually pretty noisy (I understand they are quiet?). So to suppress the noise I closed the side of my case which has an 80mm outtake. Now that time I actually saw 78C, so I quickly turned off my computer and upon next boot I used a extra fan with my case open and things got back to around 45.
I am now seeing 42C idle (with my case open, but no extra fan) but as soon as I boot up a game it sky rockets to 59C, have not really gamed more than 10 minutes - afraid the temps would go up even higher.

Any ideas or recommendations on the situation, like I have in my original post I do plan on overclocking so I want to get all these heat issues settled before I start?
I also don't want to have to reseat the Zalman only as a last resort because
A) No more AS5, just basic thermal grease
B) Requires taking out the entire motherboard and computer apart.

thanks again

First of all, one thing dude is that the zalman 7000 is not all that good. When I was comparing those heatsinks, I was comparing the zalman 7700, which is quite a bit bigger than the 7000 and alot better. The xp90c and the big typhoon both beat the 7700, and it's alot bigger and better already than that 7000 you've got. I used to have that zalman 7000, and to be quite honest I was dissappointed with it really. It's way below par when compared to those other heatsinks. The order is 7000 (not so great, but better than stock)--->7700 (pretty dam good) --->xp90c (holy crap now this is a cooler!) --->big typhoon (wow just when I thought the xp90c was good, this is king ).

Have you seen a 7700, or one of those others compared to that 7000? It's kinda small compared to them, and just a mediocre cooler IMO. If you want anything better than a mediocre oc, you need a better heatsink. That 7000 is not beefy enough to tame a prescott IMO. It may do ok idle, but a pressy under load, and that hs you have just isn't big enough to give good temps. And with your prescott, you can run it with load temps about 60c, some people do and even a bit higher. I just personally wouldn't let it get higher than 60c max for myself.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree...
1.TT BT
2.xp-90
3.7700cu
Although there is still the xp120 to consider im sure the added size of a 120mm fan would lower temps a fair amount.
however If your not on a tight buget I would go with an upgrade to watercooling..providing you have the room in your case and the money to pay for it. No air cooler can stand up to a good watercooling system and it may be worth saving up for a month or so and going straight to watercooling insted of spending $40 now and then a month or 2 later deciding that high temps limit your oc and you want watercooling... another $150+
If your a buget minded guy like myself and want the most for your money then imo just save a month for the w/c
just my

EDIT: Zalmans arent any quieter then any other cooler. For now your temps are fine(should be better but arent going to cause any damage) however I think the problem could be the amount of AS5 you applied (how much did you use?). I would say try and keep the temps under 65C which for now mean no ocing.. Post a screenshot of speedfan so we can make sure your reading the right temp.
how many case fans do you have make sure intake is from lower front and exhaust fan is back middle/top
IM affraid you might have to remove the mobo and reseat the HS/F
You can also try lapping your CPU and the HS/F this should lower temps by about 5-7C if done properly
nice guide for lapping found HERE

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay thanks for the help
So anyways I was thinking of getting a big typhoon, but I saw it at the store the other day and it was huge, I’m not even sure it would fit in my case so it threw me off a bit, don’t know about the xp-90 or 120 (they do seem to have some decent price on them too).
Also the idea of perhaps getting water-cooling is getting more and more appealing, though I’m not sure if it would fit and I would only be willing to spend about ~$160 if I did. Plus just the thought of having water in my case that could possibly leak and ruin my investment.

Here at the screenshots of the SpeedFan, and I thought I would throw in one of cpuz and one of the insides.

thanks again

·
Registered
953 Posts
Quote:

Okay thanks for the help
So anyways I was thinking of getting a big typhoon, but I saw it at the store the other day and it was huge, I'm not even sure it would fit in my case so it threw me off a bit, don't know about the xp-90 or 120 (they do seem to have some decent price on them too).
Also the idea of perhaps getting water-cooling is getting more and more appealing, though I'm not sure if it would fit and I would only be willing to spend about ~$160 if I did. Plus just the thought of having water in my case that could possibly leak and ruin my investment.

Here at the screenshots of the SpeedFan, and I thought I would throw in one of cpuz and one of the insides.

thanks again

Ya the typhoon is known to not fit in some cases, though I think the majority it will. I have put it in my Lian Li case, and in a coolermaster case, and it fits in both with some clearance to spare. I should also mention that on both of these cases I've made a 120mm hole and put a fan on the side. And so even with that 120mm fan mounted inside (at a place where part of it would collide with the fan on the big typhoon, if the clearance wasn't enough, it still fits. With some room to spare still. Neither of these cases are anything big either, just standard regular size midtowers. In most cases, unless their small, I think it would fit.

The 7700 also has problems fitting in some cases I heard, due to width issues, worked in both mine though, although a close fit. But the xp90c, I think that would fit in most cases around, it has a little height to it, but for width it doesn't even stick out farther than my mobo. I would deffinitely chose an xp90c over a 7700 too if I were you, it's better. Still though if you have a normal size case, you should check the size, and you should go for the typhoon. It's about the best you can get on air. It's better than the xp120 as well from what I've read.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The xp-90 looks like a good deal right now, but more and more the liquid cooling is looking interesting especially since ive heard that my chip can be pushed to 4.5 on water. How much would a decent liquid cooling set up clost me? or should I ask that in the Liquid cooling section?

xp-90 or liquid cooling hmmm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts