Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to OC'ing and got a system together. I've been reading these forums and some guides and while I understand the basics, I seem to be having trouble with my current setup. I am able to basically get to 3.5 stable without any trouble (CPU bus at 250), but anything further I'm not stable for more than about 15 mins (running LinX, Prime95).

Some of these questions may sound very silly to you, but I'm just learning so bear with me please.

For one, I'm pretty confused by the TA890FXE BIOS. Most things I've read talk about adjusting the multiplier for NB and HTLink. I find no such thing in the BIOS. I see the frequencies (1.6, 1.8, 2.0 ghz, etc.) for NB and HT link - is that equivalent to the actual multiplier (x7, x8...)? When I leave these to default (2000mhz), it obviously doesn't mean that it is set at that value since in CPU-Z the numbers appear higher based on the CPU FSB I set. How do I control NB and HT Link frequencies? Just clock them down to say 1600 and let increase in cpu bus adjust them to around 2000? Hope it makes sense what I'm asking.

Is there a thorough guide available for this BIOS somewhere that explains the "T-Series" configuration items in detail?

I have a lot more questions on things like setting the voltages (like where exactly and when to set voltages in "Over voltage configuration" or "CPU FID/VID Control"), and memory timing, but this is a good place to start.

Hitting 4.0ghz doesn't seem to be an issue for most of you, and while I don't think I'll push that far simply because of possible temp issues with my setup (at least till I get better fans and setup push/pull), I would like to get around 3.8 stable if I can.

I'm not sure what all information to provide so please just ask. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Yes the NB and HT link speeds are the ones you are going to have to adjust when raising your HTT clock. That's the thing I really hate about Biostar BIOS, it doesn't provide multipliers for those two important adjustments. I hate the Biostar BIOS, period, lol. (My first Phenom II board was a TA790GX A2+)

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I have no problem at all with my BIOS. It's pretty easy. You just set the HT Link speed to 1600 (or 1.6). As far as NB frequency goes, it can go a bit higher than the HT Link. You may want it to be at 2400 to 2600 when you are OC'd. It will go up as you OC so just leave that at default for now.

The thing about OC'ing is that it's a process. You try something and see what happens. Watch your ram speed as well because that goes up when you raise the clock as well. Set the ram speed down a notch also.

If you want post CPU-Z screenshots of main page, memory page and SPD page. That's the info we need in order to assist you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts