Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally worked out most of the kinks with my new Q9550 and resulting OC. I'm running an EVGA 790i Ultra mobo with the P10 BIOS. The CPU is OC'd to 3.54GHz, with a CPU Core of 1.4V, CPU FSB of 1.35V, nForce SPP of 1.45V and nForce MCP of 1.55V.

I ran Prime95 for just over 24 hours to assure stability. My temps peaked at 59C.

What I would like to know is:

Are my temps a little too high? 59 is close to 60 and that scares me a little. With the voltages bumped down a bit I had the OC go to 21 hours before an error, but the temps peaked at 53C.

I've also heard that the GTLVREF values help a lot with 9550/790i's, however I haven't the faintest idea what they do or how to go about adjust them. Currently they're all set to auto.

I'm looking to fine-tune my OC right now and bring it home and tighten everything up, and to do that I'll need a little help.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Your vcore seems really high for 3.54ghz, most Q9550 don't require more than 1.25vcore to get in the 3.83ghz range (450x8.5).

GTL REF is really confusing but it can help a ton. With mine on auto I couldn't get above 3.1ghz no matter what vcore/nb voltage I used and the second I set it to *.64 I was able to go up to 3.83ghz on below stock voltage....

I am pretty sure the *.64 means 64% of vcore so if your MB doesn't display it like that try to use whatever settings yours has to get it to 64-67% vcore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine's usually in the +/-50mv range. I've got 4 different GTLVREF lanes, I guess, and all four are on auto, and the first two are -50mv, and the third and fourth are at 0mv. But it's measured in millivolts. Can I assume .64 = 64mv? And am I looking to set all four of them to .64 (or 64mv) or just one or what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CasanovaFly View Post
Mine's usually in the +/-50mv range. I've got 4 different GTLVREF lanes, I guess, and all four are on auto, and the first two are -50mv, and the third and fourth are at 0mv. But it's measured in millivolts. Can I assume .64 = 64mv? And am I looking to set all four of them to .64 (or 64mv) or just one or what?
essentially it acts as the gate. 2 are the top and the other are the bottom. those are the threshold.
read these they helped me.

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=87

http://www.ocxtreme.org/index/?p=3
 

·
lAptOp jUnKie
Joined
·
4,632 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by CasanovaFly
View Post

I've finally worked out most of the kinks with my new Q9550 and resulting OC. I'm running an EVGA 790i Ultra mobo with the P10 BIOS. The CPU is OC'd to 3.54GHz, with a CPU Core of 1.4V, CPU FSB of 1.35V, nForce SPP of 1.45V and nForce MCP of 1.55V.

I ran Prime95 for just over 24 hours to assure stability. My temps peaked at 59C.

What I would like to know is:

Are my temps a little too high? 59 is close to 60 and that scares me a little. With the voltages bumped down a bit I had the OC go to 21 hours before an error, but the temps peaked at 53C.

I've also heard that the GTLVREF values help a lot with 9550/790i's, however I haven't the faintest idea what they do or how to go about adjust them. Currently they're all set to auto.

I'm looking to fine-tune my OC right now and bring it home and tighten everything up, and to do that I'll need a little help.

Thanks in advance.

That vcore is too high for that OC unless that is a C0 stepping cpu. If that cpu is an E0 stepping, you should be in the range of 3.9GHz to 4GHz with that 1.4v vcore (without tampering with the GTLVREF settings).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Tempest_Inc: Thanks for the websites, but I really don't know that much at all, so to learn it is pointless because I'd need so much background info. I'm just looking for some advice on what to do to try it out.

@drBlahMan: I checked, it's an E0 stepping (SLB8V I believe). I bumped the vcore down to 1.3V and it's running right now. Temps seem to have dropped a couple degrees already. Thanks for that. Every since I had to bump up my nForce MCP though, my temps shot up 6-8 degrees or so. So I'm trying to dissipate some of that heat, and I heard playing with the GTLVREF values allows you to OC without really changing anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or perhaps not... apparently my NVIDIA Control Panel was interfering. I'm using it to set speeds for my case fans, so I have my osboot profile set, but it had my original 1.4V for vcore as well (can't just do fans, lame) and it kept kicking me back to 1.4V. I ran Prime for about an hour though and I noticed my temps creeped to 62, a new high. I fixed it now and I'm running Prime again overnight at 1.35V to see, then I'll incrementally bump it down.

I did my testing in late winter, and it's gotten a lot warmer recently so the increased ambient could be the case... we'll see though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,166 Posts
OK i have read through some of the documents Tempest listed and i understand it.

The GTLvRef should be normally 2/3 the voltage of your VTT (or FSB termination) voltage. This 2/3 is the same as x0.67 which is what the OP was talking about. Increasing this voltage over 2/3 (or x0.67) MIGHT (i say might) increase the stability and overclock ability of the FSB. But be wary, don't increase it too far because it will produce excess heat and may damage your motherboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just ran Prime for 8 hours with a working vcore of 1.35. Temps got to 61. I'm gonna try 1.3 now.

And if my VTT (what I assume to be FSB voltage) is 1.35, then 67% is 0.9045. Is that 0.9 in mV?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried 1.3V, the computer BSOD'd after about an hour I think. I just disabled the automatic restart though and am testing again so I can catch the error code this time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1.3 BSOD'd again with a 0x00000124 error. So I bumped it to 1.3125V and I seem to be okay right now. Been Prime'ing for a couple hours, no issues. And the temps are down to. 56 max.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,166 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by CasanovaFly
View Post

Just ran Prime for 8 hours with a working vcore of 1.35. Temps got to 61. I'm gonna try 1.3 now.

And if my VTT (what I assume to be FSB voltage) is 1.35, then 67% is 0.9045. Is that 0.9 in mV?

nope, its 0.9v not millivolt.
What speed is your FSB at? because if it is reasonably low then there's no need for the GTLvref to be changed. (unless you want to experiment)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My FSB is at 416/7.

Although if the temps stay high, I might try bumping it up and getting the most out of those temps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,166 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by CasanovaFly
View Post

My FSB is at 416/7.

Although if the temps stay high, I might try bumping it up and getting the most out of those temps.

That bus speed isn't going to help him, your stock speed is 333MHz whereas his is only 200, so 416 isn't as big of a jump for you as it is for an E5200.

Highest bus speed i got was 361MHz but that was nowhere near stable.

Lock your PCI-e bus speed to 100 and bring up your FSB termination (or VTT) up to 1.3v
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm assuming VTT = CPU FSB voltage? And if it is then it's already at 1.35V.

And I think my PCIe bus speeds are already locked at 100.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top