Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built another PC with the following specs:

DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D
AMD Opteron 146
2x1GB G.Skill DDR500 RAM @ DDR400
Seagate 250GB ES.2 hard drive
Radeon X1950XTX
Windows XP x64 SP2

The OS and all drivers installed fine. I ran windows update and there were a total of 53 updates I installed. They all installed successfully. When the system restarted, and I entered my password, the hard drive activity light started grinding away and the system runs slower than if the CPU were at 100%. It takes like 15 minutes to load the desktop, and then when I press ctrl+alt+del, it takes another 15 minutes for the window to come up.

It says that only 5% CPU is being used, but the hard drive light is grinding away and I hear heavy disk activity going on. This never subsides, it continues indefinitely.

Luckily, I can boot to safe mode and it no longer occurs. I disabled all startup services with msconfig in safe mode, and then when I booted normally, it worked again. Except the system was totally unusable with all those services disabled. And there are a TON of them. Obviously, one or more of them are causing this nasty behavior.

I have never experienced anything like this. Anybody know what service to disable to be able to use the system? This is driving me absolutely INSANE!!!

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Did you include Windows Search 4.0 in that update? It shouldn't stop you from using your system, but it would certainly account for the hard drive activity. Try uninstalling it.

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, I did not install search 4.0.

And I figured out which service it is that is slowing down the system. It's the Windows Installer service. But why?? Anything I can do to fix this?

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Funny you should say that because ever since I installed some Vista updates last month I have always had a "trustedinstaller.exe" process running all the time. It hasn't affected performance though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.