Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What am I doing wrong? I've apple Arctic Silver 5 on both my CPU and GPU. I've put it on in a very thin layer(to the point where you can see a tint of silver) my i7 is getting 5C higher temps on this vs crappy XSPC stock TIM, but my GPU which I have done the same and it stay cool too (around the same temps it did while idling).

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
I advise against using AS5 since it's electrically conductive but that's another story. The only thing you can do is reseating the HSF and maybe put a bit more thermal paste.

• Rep+
Reactions: bigkahuna360

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel
View Post

I advise against using AS5 since it's electrically conductive but that's another story. The only thing you can do is reseating the HSF and maybe put a bit more thermal paste.

Oh well gotta wait another 5 minutes for heaven while I put on some more.

Can you put up a pic or something to show how thick/thin it should be?

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterCheese99
View Post

Did you clean off the original TIM well enough? And perhaps you applied it a little too thin? Thats about all I can think that would cause that.

I made sure there was none left. Thats why I asked for pic too.

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tipless
View Post

yeah too little thermal and itll heat up, too much and itll heat up also lol. i have heard so many different ways to lay the tim down. try a slightly larger than BB sized amount and see if that works

I did around the size of a pea.

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterCheese99
View Post

Did you clean off the original TIM well enough? And perhaps you applied it a little too thin? Thats about all I can think that would cause that.

EDIT: Try putting it thick enough where you cant see the color of the cpu.

Just saw the edit I thought it was the other way around. brb

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigkahuna360
View Post

Oh well gotta wait another 5 minutes for heaven while I put on some more.

Can you put up a pic or something to show how thick/thin it should be?

Honestly I've never followed the grain of rice rule, I don't like it. I've always covered the entire surface with TIM (trying to keep the layer as thin as possible) and then I would simply lay the heatsink over and twist it both ways a few times to make sure the TIM spreads evenly.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel
View Post

Honestly I've never followed the grain of rice rule, I don't like it. I've always covered the entire surface with TIM (trying to keep the layer as thin as possible) and then I would simply lay the heatsink over and twist it both ways a few times to make sure the TIM spreads evenly.

This.

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An ok change but its still not enough of the change from the stock stuff I'm still running 7-10C higher than I did before.

Oh yeah and first post was underestimated it was around 15-20C higher.

EDIT: I just ran a stress test for 5 sec of OC Scanner and it instantly shot up to 83C

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
It shows you how right here. I always do it my way and then after i seat the heat sink. Then i remove it and see if it covered well or went too far. and then use more or less the next time. As each heat sink will require a different method most of the time. since each product uses a different mounting system.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

• Rep+
Reactions: bigkahuna360

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_K
View Post

It shows you how right here. I always do it my way and then after i seat the heat sink. Then i remove it and see if it covered well or went too far. and then use more or less the next time. As each heat sink will require a different method most of the time. since each product uses a different mounting system.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

Ok after reading that PDF and it said it needed break in time I had a the biggest relief ever but what about my GPU?

·
Registered
574 Posts
For what it's worth, here is what the manufacturer recommends for arctic silver 5. For an i7, they recommend the vertical line method just on the cpu case (not the heatsink as well), shown on page 5 of this guide. Also keep in mind it has a 200 hour break in period. Honestly, I'm not trying to disagree with other posts here, just throwing that out there as a pretty much tried and true method.

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by frogger4
View Post

For what it's worth, here is what the manufacturer recommends for arctic silver 5. For an i7, they recommend the vertical line method just on the cpu case (not the heatsink as well), shown on page 5 of this guide. Also keep in mind it has a 200 hour break in period. Honestly, I'm not trying to disagree with other posts here, just throwing that out there as a pretty much tried and true method.

Well even then at first I never knew about the break in time it needed but now my CPU is at 48C and my GPU is at 69C in OC scanner
These are at full load too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts