Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so today I decided to mess with overclocking my shiny 3.2 GHz P4...but I was lazy, and I decided to use the Easy Tune utility included with my Gigabyte mobo. I was lazy enough for a while just to use the auto feature...crashed it, went into BIOS, upped voltages...got back into Windows. Then I started tinkering myself, I upped the FSB, then adjusted the RAM freqs to run 1:1.

When I did that, it asked me to reboot. So I did...but it froze. So I hit the reset switch on my case, and it went into some screen I never saw that said BIOS auto recovery with a little progress bar...that finished, and it auto rebooted. But...now it's not even posting. It's not giving me a BIOS screen or anything.

I popped the CMOS battery...no good. That's the only thing I could think of doing really.

My question now is can I fix this? or are my BIOS completely shot, somehow? If they're irreparably shot, I can always just buy a nice 865PE mobo off my friend...would be an upgrade, but I don't really wanna spend money.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
First take out your memory and boot. If you here a beep from the absense of the memory your mobo is fine. Just go to Gigabyte's website and download a emergency recovery BIOS. Put it on a floppy, and then take out your jumper. When you boot, the BIOS will install and you will be all set!

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
well, overclocking on a 848i chipset wasnt the greatest idea to start... As for your bios... oh boy i think your mobo might be shot if you have tried re-setting the CMOS multiple times.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi

Yes, when you take the battery out... leave it out for a while (1-2 hours)

I've heard people say like pop it for 30 seconds...I did it twice for a few mins. I don't think it has a jumper, it has pins for it I believe, but I've never seen a jumper. Every time I've failed at overclocking, I've just popped the battery.

Anyway, I'll mess with the mem now.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by --Filip--

Ok, so today I decided to mess with overclocking my shiny 3.2 GHz P4...but I was lazy, and I decided to use the Easy Tune utility included with my Gigabyte mobo. I was lazy enough for a while just to use the auto feature...crashed it, went into BIOS, upped voltages...got back into Windows. Then I started tinkering myself, I upped the FSB, then adjusted the RAM freqs to run 1:1.

When I did that, it asked me to reboot. So I did...but it froze. So I hit the reset switch on my case, and it went into some screen I never saw that said BIOS auto recovery with a little progress bar...that finished, and it auto rebooted. But...now it's not even posting. It's not giving me a BIOS screen or anything.

I popped the CMOS battery...no good. That's the only thing I could think of doing really.

My question now is can I fix this? or are my BIOS completely shot, somehow? If they're irreparably shot, I can always just buy a nice 865PE mobo off my friend...would be an upgrade, but I don't really wanna spend money.

Hi Filip,

Sorry to hear about your bad flash. I'm assuming you still have internet access since you posted here. 3 things you can do:
1) I thought most Gigabyte motherboards had the dual BIOS function. My older GA-8INXP did, but then again I don't know which board you have. Does yours have the backup BIOS??
2) You can contact Jack at http://www.badflash.com or [email protected] send him your EPROM chip and instructions where and what BIOS version you want and he'll fix you up. I've used him to save 2 of my motherboards in the past. I was able to save a ASUS A7V-266E and a ASUS P3B slot 1.
3) Buy your friends board - :)
I hope this helped,

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

First take out your memory and boot. If you here a beep from the absense of the memory your mobo is fine. Just go to Gigabyte's website and download a emergency recovery BIOS. Put it on a floppy, and then take out your jumper. When you boot, the BIOS will install and you will be all set!

Well, pulled the memory, instant bishing from my system; repetitive beeping...means board isn't shot

Hmm does it really matter if I pop the battery instead of using a jumper? I can probably pull a jumper from somewhere if it really matters.

Quote:

well, overclocking on a 848i chipset wasnt the greatest idea to start...

It does suck for overclocking, very limited options, but I ran my 2.4 Northwood at 3.0 for months fine with it.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Your mobo is fine. You prolly just need to recover the BIOS. Follow Gigabyte instructions on the recovery.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi

Your mobo is fine. You prolly just need to recover the BIOS. Follow Gigabyte instructions on the recovery.

I looked on their site and found the BIOS for my board, I just didn't find anything specifically labeled 'emergency' or anything like you said. Can I just stick a floppy with the BIOS image in my floppy drive and it'll flash it automatically?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm they don't really have anything like that...no bootable ROM file or anything.

Further help? How the hell do I relfash the BIOS on a computer that won't even post...

·
Registered
441 Posts
look up boot block floppp or boot block bios recovery,I googled "how to fix a corrupt bios" and found a site somewheres,i will looks for it,if i find it later,i will edit this message and repost

**I found the website,i hope i helped u,my last mobo did this to,but i couldnt fix it becuz everything fried,i would of needed and isa slot and no really new mobos use them,Anyhow heres the link

http://www.wimsbios.com/HTML1/faq.html#q9

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also had the same prob. but I have a jumper on my board, and just short across the 2 pins with needle nose for about 3-4 seconds.

-bobkat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts