Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Asus p4800 SE motherboard and I cannot get my computer to turn on at all. The green LED on it lights up so I know it has power but when I press the power button the fans spin for a moment then everything dies. I mean what in the world is going on, I have taken it all apart and rebuilt it many times I just dont get why it wont work. Sometimes I feel like I want to take it out to a farm and just
the hell out of it. But I wont do that because its worth to much and ive worked to hard to get to this stage. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OzziKing

I just got my Asus p4800 SE motherboard and I cannot get my computer to turn on at all. The green LED on it lights up so I know it has power but when I press the power button the fans spin for a moment then everything dies. I mean what in the world is going on, I have taken it all apart and rebuilt it many times I just dont get why it wont work. Sometimes I feel like I want to take it out to a farm and just
the hell out of it. But I wont do that because its worth to much and ive worked to hard to get to this stage. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

When you installed the motherboard, did you use the stand offs? It sounds a lot like the board is grounding out on the case. Check and make sure the board is not grounding out on the mobo tray and the backplane.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Have you connected the 4-pin +12v connector on the motherboard?

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

The mobo isnt touching the case besides the sides where you plug in all your stuff on the back and both connecters are connected....

A lot of times when this problem occurs, it's because the bottom of the mobo grounds out because the stand off's were either not used or installed incorrectly.

Sometimes bad fans will also cause this problem. Try unplugging the case fans and see what it does. Also make sure you have the case switch, LED's, etc plug in the correct pins on the mobo. Re-seat the CPU and make sure it is down all the way. Have you checked the PSU to make sure it isn't faulty?

It is hard to give a definite answer on what could be wrong because there is some many things it could be.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Sorry to say I can't help...I had the exact same thing going on when I first transplanted my Dell mobo into my Raidmax case...never took it off the Dell shuttle plate so I know it wasn't shorting on something. I can't for the life of me remember what it was...I know it was something simple since I did get it to work...hang in there, you'll get it!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had that same problem when I upgraded my PSU I would get lights then I hit the button and it would just spin then turn off. Turns out my PSU went bad replaced it and everything was fine. Try replacing it if you have a spare one somewhere if not take it to somewhere (or buy a tester) and have it tested.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by archer_456

...Try unplugging the case fans and see what it does. Also make sure you have the case switch, LED's, etc plug in the correct pins on the mobo.

Yes!!! That is was what it was. On my Dell the front panel controls are integrated into a single PCB that has two cables coming from it. I had one of these not connected. Now I have no idea why it would briefly ower up and then shut down...likely it was looking for something and when there was no signal it said game over. Follow Archer's tip and tripple check the case plugs.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Ill try taking the Mobo out and putting it back in. How do i upload pictures ill post some for you guys to see, see if you can help me out...

When my NF7-S shorted out and died that's all it did... It would come on for a second and then just off... I tested in all three cases I had at that moment and nothing, different cpu's, different psu's... As soon as I bought a new mobo my system was up and running again.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Sounds like what's wrong with my DFI board...

You can upload pics by the manage attachments button towards the bottom of the reply screen. Just be careful and be thorough in the installation and check things a couple times

·
Registered
712 Posts
do you get ANY beeps or series of beeps when the thing powers up BEFORE it auto ****s down?

Shut is a bad word?

umm.. ya know u is AWFULLY close to the I on the keyboard...

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Ok, here is what I have done in the past. This may sound very funny, but hear me out. Take the motherboard out of the case and place it on a non conductive surface. Hook up only the essential components, video card and hard drive, only 1 Memory module, and PSU. Turn it on and see if it will post. if it will post like this, then it's shorting out, if it will not post, then we will have to try and rule out specific components.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts