Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I currently am looking into watercooling the PC in my sigrig. I've read quite a bit on the subject from our FAQ's etc here, but I am appealing to the experts on component choice.

Priority List is as follows:

Very Quiet > Moderate OC'ing cooling potential > Price

I'm OCing my 3 6950's to 6970's at 950ish MHz each and my CPU to 4.2Ghz which is a pretty tame OC for the i7 950. Please give advise as what components I should purchase for the job and if I need to purchase a different case (Would really prefer not to).

So I'm thinking of these so far:
GPU Full Coverage EK Acetal + Nickel Blocks - $110 Per (x3) **Update Purchased**

CEK Supreme HF Full Copper Nickel Plated Block - $95 **Update Purchased**

GT AP-15 Fans - $16 Per (x20, replacing case fans as well) **Update Purchased**

Petra's Kill Coil - $10 **Update Purchased**

655 Pump -$85 **Update Purchased**

Mo-Ra 3 Pro 120mm - $230 **Update Purchased**

Orange UV Masterkleer Tubing 1/2 ID", 3/4 OD" 3 meters - $16 **Update Purchased**

EK Dual Bay Resevoir - $75 **Update Purchased**

So far price is up to $1157.00

Thanks again!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2z;13027857
Hey guys, I currently am looking into watercooling the PC in my sigrig. I've read quite a bit on the subject from our FAQ's etc here, but I am appealing to the experts on component choice.

Priority List is as follows:

Very Quiet > Moderate OC'ing cooling potential > Price

I'm OCing my 3 6950's to 6970's at 950ish MHz each and my CPU to 4.2Ghz which is a pretty tame OC for the i7 950. Please give advise as what components I should purchase for the job and if I need to purchase a different case (Would really prefer not to).

Thanks in advance.
Parts wise:
You are looking at 3 x $100 for your gpu blocks on average (may cost more).
CPU block $50-80
Rads you will want 2 480s RX480s 2 x $115
GT AP-15 Fans 8 x $16
Pump Either a 655 or 355 there are many different variations/tops $70-110
Tubing (personal choice) 2$ish a foot
Reservoir (personal choice) can go with a cheap T-line or any res $25-100
Fittings you will need sli connectors or barab and a short bit of hose sli connectors are usually better. $20-100
PT Nuke or Kill coil $8

All together you are probably looking at around 800 on the low end. Welcome to WC!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Decided to edit top post to keep it all in one spot.

·
Registered
719 Posts
You will also need some sort of connectors for the tubing. Compression fittings are really nice, but expensive (can be $17 for each fitting). They also are the least prone to leaking. Barbs are cheaper and can leak if not installed correctly and if you get barbs, you will most likely need some clamps as well.

You have to make sure your tubing size matches your fitting size but I know a lot of people will put a 7/16" hose on a 1/2" barb for a nice tight seal.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I will probably go Compression Fittings because I am more than willing to spend the extra money on the little things to assure that I have no leaking on the rest of my main parts. On the compression fittings, should I purchase them according to Hose size? Or is it based on the size of the blocks that I purchased?

(Sorry still pretty green here)
Also, what size tubing and what radiator would be the best for silent performance / decent cooling as far as restriction goes etc.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave2z
View Post

I think I will probably go Compression Fittings because I am more than willing to spend the extra money on the little things to assure that I have no leaking on the rest of my main parts. On the compression fittings, should I purchase them according to Hose size? Or is it based on the size of the blocks that I purchased?

(Sorry still pretty green here)
Also, what size tubing and what radiator would be the best for silent performance / decent cooling as far as restriction goes etc.

From what Ive read, size is up to your preference. I went with 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD pretty much for looks. So lets say you want to get 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD tubing, then you must get the same size compression fittings.

As for the blocks, most have the G 1/4 thread so you can attach any barb/compression fitting so that wont be a problem but one thing you have to think about is some blocks have their inlet and outlet holes close together. So if you want to use large tubing, then you might not be able to use compression fittings because they are too large. The block that I have (EK Supreme HF) has the inlet/outlet holes farther apart so I didnt have a problem with my large fittings.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I go with 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD will that be less prone to kinking? Or would smaller tubing be better for less kinking?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have the RX360 and like it so far. The thicker the better. 1 thick radiator should do the trick but im not sure how quiet it will be. I guess it all depends on your fans. I have 3000rpm Gentle Typhoons and love them but they are sort of loud at high speed. Although I have them hooked up to a fan controller and they are pretty quiet when I turn them down to 1000rpms.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, thanks a lot for the input so far! I've updated the original post with the build decision making so far. I did have a few questions though.

First should I do two loops or one?
I do have 3 OC'd video cards and an OC processor to cool.

If I did two loops would I need two pumps/rads? (Still completely green here sorry) Also what are the benefits/drawbacks to having two loops instead of one?

I decided to go with tube sizing of 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD with compression fittings, will I have possible problems with leaking from non-tight fitting tubes to fittings? I had read somewhere that some people said 1/2 with 3/4 fit losely.

For a more silent setup (Really wanting to run GT-15's @ around 800 - 1000 RPM full load) should I consider two rads or one?

Oh and lastly which size rads for that speed?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I sincerely appreciate the input so far and the rest of the input I know this amazing community will help provide me with!

Thanks!

·
Registered
598 Posts
You can run your setup with one loop no issues.

You can also choose to run 2 loops. There really is no advantage in your case and it would require more tubing another pump and res. Also if you wanted 2 separate loops unless you had a 240 for the cpu you would be wasting money for an extra rad slot that could go to cooling your gpus. Its also another loop to drain/fill/bleed.

For compressions you want the ID/OD to match your tubing no bigger no smaller.

You will want 2 rads regardless maybe even 3 if you plan on pushing all your components to their best OC. I would highly suggest you look at other fans if you are going to run the GTs at 1/2 speed on full load your temps will be hot at 1/2 speed for all of those and its a waste to buy fans rated at 2x the speed and then use them at 1/2 imo.

The RX360 is the best rad at the 1000 rpm range if you want to run that low you will probably want 2-3 rads the RX 360 @460W will give you a 12.57C delta difference at 22c ambient.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input so far, I ended up going with the Mo-ra 3 Pro
smile.gif

I hope it goes well.

As soon as the Gentle Typhoons come back in stock I'll almost have everything I need. Still looking for a res...hmm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.