Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay the X-Fi card is notched so it looks like this.

But my three PCI slots look like this.

The PCI slot has two 'notch' things, but the card has three! When I try to stick the card into the PCI slot, it doesn't really seem to 'plug' or 'stick' in, and won't go all the way down. I don't want to try to force it anymore than I already have in fear of breaking it.

So what should I do? Do I need a new motherboard or something?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Your slot looks like its flipped around, so flip the card around and see what happens. I dunno from PCI slot pics the line should be to the back not to the front.

pink

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I got it in. I guess I just wasn't pushing hard enough because I give it a good firm push on both ends and it 'clicked' in.

But my problems got a looooot bigger.

I got my computer all plugged in and everything, went to turn it on. Click. Nothing happens. I make sure everything is plugged in and the power supply is not manually switched off. Click. Nothing happens. Open up computer to check connections, everything looks fine. Close it up, click, nothing happens. Open it again, and then a third time, Click, nothing happens.

Finally, on the forth time I opened it again because at this point I'm just puzzled. I found nothing so I closed it up again. Click. It worked.

Does anyone have any idea what just happened?!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did, and my computer wouldn't start, so I just put the X-Fi back in and kept trying. Later the computer did boot, with the X-Fi inside and connected That's what's puzzling me. You'd think the problem would be connected with the X-Fi because the problem occurred right after I connected it, yet the problem seems to have solved itself and the X-Fi didn't seem to matter.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
with the riser in the computer might have been like:
"wait... it shows i have 4 PCi slots when im only supposed to have three *calculates and divides IRQ for 1/2 hour*"

I dunno, so its working fine?

~Higgins

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgins
View Post

with the riser in the computer might have been like:
"wait... it shows i have 4 PCi slots when im only supposed to have three *calculates and divides IRQ for 1/2 hour*"

I dunno, so its working fine?

~Higgins

Flawlessly, for the moment. I guess the test will be (once I'm done with these drivers) to restart and see if it boots.

(Speaking of the drivers, should I also look for updates online since the CD drivers might be out of date?)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts