Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1 vfat defaults 0 0

that is my current fstab.. so the hdb1 is the drive in question.. it was a drive i had in a usb disk.. its fat32 partition with the setup the way it now .. it will give me read access but i cant write or delete to it.. it says it is owned by root and the group is root.. i wish to be able to have total control of this drive with out having to sudo in the terminal.. i rather use gnome with my normal account.. so how can i fix this..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,847 Posts
Use Gparted to redo the partition. It might sort it out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Jester
Use Gparted to redo the partition. It might sort it out.
redo it how.. it has all my data on it.. im pretty sure its as simple as a chown command or a chmod command but i dont know how to use those
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,590 Posts
"man chmod" or "man chown" or "man chgrp" or "info chmod" can tell you everything you'd every need to know about command.

I'd try this though:
/dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1 vfat noauto,user,rw 0 0

Then you can type "mount /media/hd1" and you'll have read and write permissions.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerousHobo
"man chmod" or "man chown" or "man chgrp" or "info chmod" can tell you everything you'd every need to know about command.

I'd try this though:
/dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1 vfat noauto,user,rw 0 0

Then you can type "mount /media/hd1" and you'll have read and write permissions.
actually i just fixed it.. i changed it to the following

/dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1 vfat user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0

and that seemed to work wonders for me..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,590 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippen Out
actually i just fixed it.. i changed it to the following

/dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1 vfat user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0

and that seemed to work wonders for me..
Cool, I had the same problem a little while back.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top