Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be moving into a place in the next couple months where I'll have to go wireless on my desktop (until now I've just done Ethernet so I don't even have a wifi card on my desktop). The router/modem aren't anywhere near my bedroom so my gear will be going wireless from now on All my devices are built-in wifi ready but not my desktop.

I would like recommendations as to a rock-solid, reliable, fast and well performing card as I can to make up for no hardwired connection. Especially with BF3 coming out I'm not all that thrilled with being forced into this situation but you gotta do what you gotta do. Anyhow, I'll be bringing my router (Netgear WNDR3700) so I'll have the range and speed from there about as good as I can get, so I'd like a card of equal merit.

One side note...probably not really feasible considering I want speed and performance as a priority, but I would love a card (if possible) without bull**** antennas sticking out of the case, or with external antennas you have to set up on your desk. I will go that route if I have to but man that is an aesthetic nightmare, IMO. The ones that stick out of the back of the case are the worst looking for me just as a caveat
wink.gif

Thanks guys
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Powerline!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Evolution;14108982
Why not buy another router and use that to connect to the access point? I know it is more money but no card can match a good router.
Hehe, yea I did think about this. Was just trying to see if there was any (cheaper) card out there that was a good solution. I think I'll just pony up for another router, though. Can always use another router kicking around
tongue.gif

as for the USB options, I assumed those to be slower than even PCIe cards and more importantly still an ugly protrusion from the back of my case!
eek.gif
. I do like how inexpensive this route seems to be, but with the money I've sunk into the rest of my setup I'd rather eat the cost of another router and get better performance for online gaming in the long run.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Tiger has a refurb e1000 foe 25 bucks. I use that as moms bridge. Works well and cheap. Iv gamed on it with no issues
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepticon;14109069
Hehe, yea I did think about this. Was just trying to see if there was any (cheaper) card out there that was a good solution. I think I'll just pony up for another router, though. Can always use another router kicking around
tongue.gif

as for the USB options, I assumed those to be slower than even PCIe cards and more importantly still an ugly protrusion from the back of my case!
eek.gif
. I do like how inexpensive this route seems to be, but with the money I've sunk into the rest of my setup I'd rather eat the cost of another router and get better performance for online gaming in the long run.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Appreciate the help!
This Is Correct. Wipe USB based Wifi cards from your list.They will be Mych slower. Get a PCI or PCie (if it exists) I had a Netgear card long ago but i'm sure the cards have gotten better, as anything technology would. Is the Wifi a G or N? If its G there's no real point in buying an N card

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony360
View Post

Tiger has a refurb e1000 foe 25 bucks. I use that as moms bridge. Works well and cheap. Iv gamed on it with no issues

Sweet I'll check that out! Can't go wrong for that price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorianime
View Post

This Is Correct. Wipe USB based Wifi cards from your list.They will be Mych slower. Get a PCI or PCie (if it exists) I had a Netgear card long ago but i'm sure the cards have gotten better, as anything technology would. Is the Wifi a G or N? If its G there's no real point in buying an N card

Yea it's definitely N.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
I'm using a

DWA-556 DWA-556
... for about a year and a half now and I've yet to have any issues at all.

It's never dropped connection. Drivers are super basic tiny Atheros drivers. No stupid useless added software to connect to an access point. It's just perfect imo. I do everything off this wireless card since my router is in the room next to me and have yet to find a fault.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.