Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was a big Total Annihilation fan, haven't really enjoyed a RTS since. I played some DOWII at a friend's place and it made me think about buying it. I guess you could say that's a pretty big thumbs up.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Never been much of an RTS guy myself, mostly FPS. I played a lot of red alert 2 back in the day but never got too atached so I left RTS for a while. I decided to get World in Conflict a couple weeks back and wow, blew my pants off. I'm a bit of a closet history geek, and the tactics and units and story all make sense, IIRC it's based off a book by some Tom Clancy type. Pretty DX10 graphics, ran maxed on my system. And, for icing on the cake, there's an expansion coming out soon where we get to see the Soviet side.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Well, I can tell you this; Do not waste your money on Red Alert 3. This is the only C&C game to come out that I have not liked...at all. It is cartoony and seems like a step backwards for the franchise.

Any of the other Command and Conquer series is great though, or try Company of Heroes.

Out of those two I would pick Total War. The entire series is epic.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Dawn of War 2. Its rather easy to learn the basics of that game (due to lack of city building and simplified resource system) but it takes time and strategy to become very good at the game.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pheoxs
View Post

Starcraft!

this, times 9000.

Start with some classics, they are classics for a reason! Starcraft, Starcraft BW. Hit up the Warcrafts, start at least at Warcraft II! Next up find the C&C games, the oldschool ones, mostly the ones when it was still done by Westwood, though a few EA ones are decent.

Best of all, you can pick up all these in a "battle chest" package type deal for real cheap!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Since you are a first time RTSer don't get Empire Total War you will be overwhelmed by the complexity of that game. I suggest something simple to learn on like starcraft, warcraft III. World in conflict & DW2 would be my next choices.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by burndollars View Post
where can one buy starcraft now-a-days?
Or download, ect...
Look at your local bestbuy or major retailer because I know for a fact they still have those games.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
While Dawn of War 2 is classified as an RTS it is nothing like Age of Empires or Command and Conquer if thats what your looking for, neither is Empire Total War. I suggest Age of Empires 3, or Command and Conquer Red Alert 3, because its only $10 at bestbuy if you use the coupone availible to the free gamer's club

·
Registered
761 Posts
Dawn of War 2 is trash. If it is between the two games that you listed, you should go with Empire Total War.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by S2kphile
View Post

Look at your local bestbuy or major retailer because I know for a fact they still have those games.

Oh my. I didn't know the answer was this obvious.
Holy crap, it's still sold?

omw to bestbuy

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by burndollars
View Post

Oh my. I didn't know the answer was this obvious.
Holy crap, it's still sold?

omw to bestbuy

check out bestbuy.com to make sure you store has it in stock. I know mines does but other may not

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would suggest Starcraft as well (you can get the battlechest from Newegg for 20 bucks) or Warcraft 3 and the add on. These are awesome simple RTS games. Dawn of War (the first one, I haven't played the second yet) is really fun too, but I would still suggest starting with those two I mentioned before.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skorched
View Post

empire total war

end discussion

I agree with this statement.

Although, I highly recommend the old-school Command & Conquer games (pre C&C3, which is when EA bought Westwood) as well as Warcraft 3 and Starcraft.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts