Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I was asking about power supplies and someone recommended two different GPU's over the one i chose... not sure if it's just a preference thing but I would like to ask all of you which one you think is better... and please elaborate im still trying to learn more about GPU's to have a better self understanding... will be doing gaming, streaming, and multitasking (work)

My selected GPU on this build (http://pcpartpicker.com/user/imerino/saved/kwWypg)
EVGA 02G-P4-3757-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487028&cm_re=EVGA_02G-P4-3757-KR_G-SYNC_Support_GeForce_GTX_750_Ti_2GB_128-Bit_GDDR5-_-14-487-028-_-Product

2 other Recommendations:
HIS iPower IceQ X² Boost H270QM2G2M Radeon R9 270 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161449&cm_re=HIS_iPower_IceQ_X%u00b2_Boost_H270QM2G2M_Radeon_R9_270_2GB_256-Bit_GDDR5-_-14-161-449-_-Product

GIGABYTE GV-R927OC-2GD Radeon R9 270 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125491&cm_re=GIGABYTE_GV-R927OC-2GD_Radeon_R9_270_2GB_256-Bit_GDDR5-_-14-125-491-_-Product

they fall almost within the same price range so price isn't a factor here.... Just wanna know which one is the better of the three... I have seen a lot!! of people running the EVGA FTW Gpu running high ultra setting games so I was pretty confident that this one was a great gpu to get esp. for the price, but I am no expert and am willing to hear another GPU is better

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

R9 270 is going to be better than the 750 Ti, but the 750 Ti uses significantly less power.

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1130?vs=1080

Some benches for you to look at.
Thank you for the quick response, that is definitely appreciated. I may not know as much as some people but those benchmarks strikes a question in me....

It says that it's going up against the 750 Ti, but the one i have is the FTW Edition, the regular Ti is a smaller card... i dont know if their comparing one or the other.

And since the R9 is probably the best bet here... which out of the Gigabyte and the HIS would be the best to go with? I am leaning towards Gigabyte, havent heard much about the HIS brand.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
HIS has been around for a long time and there is certainly nothing wrong with picking up one of their cards. However, Gigabyte GPU's come with a 3 year warranty vs a 2 year warranty with HIS. So I'd also opt for the Gigabyte one.

The benchmarks I linked you to compare a reference R9 270 and a reference 750 Ti at the factory clocks.

A 750 Ti FTW edition would score higher because it has a high OC out of the box. It's not really fair to compare a OC'd 750 Ti to a stock R9 270 because the R9 270 is also going to be able to get a decent overclock most of the time if you decide on OC'ing your GPU.

EDIT: During the mining craze last year I had a chance to own most of the R9 270's.

The Asus ones had junk coolers and would get way higher temps than any of the others. MSI was good. Sapphire was better, including RAM heatsinks in addition to the cooler which the others did not have. Gigabyte had 2 6 pin power plugs and used more power than the rest.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

HIS has been around for a long time and there is certainly nothing wrong with picking up one of their cards. However, Gigabyte GPU's come with a 3 year warranty vs a 2 year warranty with HIS. So I'd also opt for the Gigabyte one.

The benchmarks I linked you to compare a reference R9 270 and a reference 750 Ti at the factory clocks.

A 750 Ti FTW edition would score higher because it has a high OC out of the box. It's not really fair to compare a OC'd 750 Ti to a stock R9 270 because the R9 270 is also going to be able to get a decent overclock most of the time if you decide on OC'ing your GPU.

EDIT: During the mining craze last year I had a chance to own most of the R9 270's.

The Asus ones had junk coolers and would get way higher temps than any of the others. MSI was good. Sapphire was better, including RAM heatsinks in addition to the cooler which the others did not have. Gigabyte had 2 6 pin power plugs and used more power than the rest.
Man... this is tough... lol
tongue.gif
I will probably jump on the Gigabyte GPU after all this.... I will prob have to figure out how to OC the R9 a little... or just leave it alone i mean it has some nice benchmarks the way it is

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imerino View Post

Man... this is tough... lol
tongue.gif
I will probably jump on the Gigabyte GPU after all this.... I will prob have to figure out how to OC the R9 a little... or just leave it alone i mean it has some nice benchmarks the way it is
Yep it will be better.
thumb.gif
Stay away from 270X versions though. They cost more and are the exact same thing. The only difference being they have better power delivery BUT in my experience you can only get an extra 50-100Mhz core at most. The majority of my regular R9 270's did 1100MHz core already.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys sorry for the late reply, I have actually switched it up a little
smile.gif
This is my complete build.... one week and counting before I push the button

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kPjDf7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kPjDf7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($133.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($80.97 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.18 @ Newegg)
Total: $635.72 (Total is actually like $820.00 - not registering the price of the GPU)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I am going to be working on the rig, using a lot of microsoft applications, making excel sheets, work really in that sense and then playing games! Battlefield Hardline (when it comes out) Battlefield 4 maybe COD, Diablo 3, GTA perhaps... definitely wanna get back into FPS games been a while

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't handle that Rosewill
tongue.gif
Its semi modular but I need a full modular
smile.gif

And i know it may be a little more power than needed but doesn't hurt
tongue.gif
best price i could find on a fully modular unit.... I will be checking again before i hit purchase on everything to see if i could save a buck or two but doubt it
tongue.gif

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:

I can't handle that Rosewill
tongue.gif
Its semi modular but I need a full modular
smile.gif

And i know it may be a little more power than needed but doesn't hurt
tongue.gif
best price i could find on a fully modular unit.... I will be checking again before i hit purchase on everything to see if i could save a buck or two but doubt it
tongue.gif
Fair enough. The unit you picked out is a good one. Seasonic is the OEM.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Fair enough. The unit you picked out is a good one. Seasonic is the OEM.
thumb.gif
Haha i was going to ask you what the OEM stands for when it came to you saying it right after seasonic but i just looked it up, knowing that they build all their products internally is kinda cool

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,255 Posts
Quote:

I have no complaints. You could add an SSD, but other than that looks great.

EDIT: You could save a bit of money and get a Rosewill Capstone instead. It's actually a Super Flower unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182261

You will be fine on 450W, don't need 550W.
this ^ yeah it is semi modular but your going to use all the cables that arnt modular anyways
smile.gif

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlay View Post

this ^ yeah it is semi modular but your going to use all the cables that arnt modular anyways
smile.gif
You'll never take me alive coppers!... oh wait.... I mean you'll never change my mind
smile.gif

Although this may be true, I dig the seasonic one more, plus their hybrid switch sounds like an interesting feature.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:

Hey guys sorry for the late reply, I have actually switched it up a little
smile.gif
This is my complete build.... one week and counting before I push the button

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kPjDf7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kPjDf7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($133.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($80.97 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.18 @ Newegg)
Total: $635.72 (Total is actually like $820.00 - not registering the price of the GPU)
Really good build just change the case

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Really good build just change the case
Thanks for the comment on the build but keeping the case
tongue.gif
has some great airflow and priced really well

·