Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a computer right now as a I type this, but am having a few problems.

The color coding on the motherboard does not match up with the color of the case wires. See pictures for explanation.

Help me do this right, thanks!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
just turn your manual to the left so the missing pin on the manual matches up with the missing pin on the board. Then just look in the manual for what should go to what spot and find that wire that you have and plug it in. It should be that easy.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yea... don't depend so much on the colors of the mobo/cables. The manual has a +/- depending on polarity; the colored cable is positive, while the white is negative(ground).

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
No biggy...
THe white is the negative ...corelate that with the discription on the connector by name.
HDD = hard drive
FP PWR = the "P" connector
Power SW = Power switch
Reset = Reset
Just make sure the white or negative is on the correct pin and the color wire of the same is on the positive

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The HDD pins and the power switch pins are flipped...hmmm...it shouldn't hurt to try it both ways. It just won't turn on if you put them in the wrong places, cause that's what happened with my case/mobo connectors.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could I short out my motherboard if I connect them wrong. The colors don't match up.

The HDD led of the board is yellow but the wire is red
The FP power of the board is green and the wire is green also
The reset of the board is blue and the wire is also blue.
The power sw of the board is red but the wire is orange.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the second mobo I had. I had to RMA the last one. I don't like playing games with manufacturers who can't take the time to make sure their manuals are correct....or case manufacturers. I REFUSE to connect this computer at all until I am CERTAIN that it is correct.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
sont go by the colors....go by what is labeled on the connectors them selves, turn the manual so it looks just like the pins and hook it up accordingly, just make sure the polarity is corred 9the color wire is positive,and the white wire is negative) hope this helps.... its easy enough and u should have no problem

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I successsfully got the system up and running after just following TFM

But now the screen says "Cmos battery low" which is strange because the jumper was set to the clear position until now.

I'll replace the battery tomorrow and see how things go with the install. Right now the thing sounds like a jet engine! the fans are running at their max it seems. Oh, my gosh.

cpu temp is at 23C but the cpu fan is at 5113RPM! Why is the CPU fan at 5113RPM?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts