Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my main work computers for freelancing will not start at all. Its a ASUS A8N sli board. I see the green light so it has power. I hit the on button and nothing. No fans not anything.

I cheched the on switch and reset switch connections and they are pluged in..

·
Registered
21 Posts
im having the same problem with my rig, i took it apart because the retention clip broke, and now i cant get it to turn back on, same green asus light, lol but no startup. i switched the connectors around from the case, and nothing still. lol its been a working comp for 8 months and now it wont work either!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just turned it off and leaned out some dust of the motherboard and cleaned out the video card. It was working 2 hours ago and after I was done nothing..

Although I might have found something interesting. The screw driver I used had a slight magnetic tip and I didn't know it. $hit........

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitrevX
View Post

I just turned it off and leaned out some dust of the motherboard and cleaned out the video card. It was working 2 hours ago and after I was done nothing..

Although I might have found something interesting. The screw driver I used had a slight magnetic tip and I didn't know it. $hit........

Clear CMOS, take out battery wait 5 minutes put back in and try to boot again.

·
Registered
788 Posts
possbile grounding???check everything and make sure none of the connections on the psu could be touching. Try taking it all out and put it on a non conductive pad and see if you can get it going that way

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliemack
View Post

possbile grounding???check everything and make sure none of the connections on the psu could be touching. Try taking it all out and put it on a non conductive pad and see if you can get it going that way

Good advice charliemack, getting down to barebones is the easist way to solve mystery problems.

Remove all the components from the case and set them up on a stable, clean and static-protected surface, and start troubleshooting. It's a pain, but everything is within easy reach and clearly visible.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still have nothing. everything is plug in the way it was before I even opened the side pannel.

Edit: This computer was 100% helthy 2 and everything was tight. I think its 2 things human error meaning me being dumb or the screw driver fuxed up the motherboard.

If I had another board can't I just swap it and if it works I know what to prob is? I should have to reformat anything..

·
Registered
21 Posts
i cant get mine to start either, at one point i had the same issue the fans started and stopped really quick, but then nothing else...at all.....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh4760 View Post
i cant get mine to start either, at one point i had the same issue the fans started and stopped really quick, but then nothing else...at all.....
yeah it was jolt for sure. I going to tare it all down to the basics and work with that to see what the deal is..

·
Registered
21 Posts
good luck...i just finished rebuilding mine and ran into this problem..so if it was a jolt, is the mobo fried? and if not is there any repair besides the battery thing to erese the cmos...cause im not sure thats gonna do anything

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitrevX
View Post

well I swaped the HD's to my sig rig and tested the video card on it too and thank god I still have all my important CG work on the HD's!!!!!

I'm going to back up some of the recent stuff before I mess with the CG work pc anymore.

Glad to hear your work wasn't wiped out.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, seriously, that would be extreamly bad as in the freelance work would be lost and my money for the work would be lost too.

I've been swapping parts from my sig rig to and from the work computer and I found out the cpu, gpu, HD's work fine in the sig rig, but the ram has trouble.

Anyways I hooked the 350w psu to my sig rig without the 7900gt and a regular 6series pci-e card I have and all it did was make a quiet jetson car noise.

When it was hooked up all it was powering was the motherboard, regular pci-e card, dvd rom, 1 hard drive, and my d5 pump incase it did fire up. I think 350w should be able to handle that. so my conclusion => fried.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts