Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing a triple terminal onto the EK-FC r9 290x water block today and I must use too much force with the screw the center hole cracks (in the picture). I guess the warranty won't cover this. So is there any way to have it fixed? Or does EK sell the glass top only for cheap? I didn't find it on their website.

Thanks in advance
thumb.gif

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post

Send them an email/message on their website. I am sure their support will be able to send you out a replacement top. It shouldn't cost all that much one would think.
I will try my luck then. It doesn't hurt anyway. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
If EK won't cover it, get an oven pan, put some wax paper on it, put the acrylic part on it, and heat the acrylic to 90celsius. Remove and let it cool normally in an open air environment. It probably won't look perfect but it should fuse the acrylic back together so it won't leak.

Contact EK first of course, DIY tricks and treats generally don't work your first try around. XD

·
Registered
22 Posts
Acrylic is solvent-welded using something like Weld-On 3 so it's possible to get a bond that's just as strong as the original material. The solvent is dispensed from a needle-tipped syringe and drawn into the gap by capillary action after which pressure is applied. Try an acrylics/plastics shop.

I've repaired/built a few acrylic aquarium accessories this way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zytheeks and gantritor, thanks for the suggestion. Very interesting. I've never done repair myself before but I guess I will try it some time since I have this broken one anyway. Right now I am waiting for EK's replacement from Slovenia. I paid about €30. It's been a while but I hope I can get it next week. Too bad I can't track EMS priority for international shipping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts