Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plugged my camera (USB) in and my mouse stopped working. Period. I rebooted, nothing. I reloaded software & rebooted, nothing. I reboot again with it plugged into PS2 vie converter plug, nothing. (This is a less than a week old MX1000 Logitech Laser mouse BTW) So I get my old mouse & reboot, nothing. Change it to PS2, nothing. I do notice however that on rebooting the red optical LED does flash showing it is getting power from the mobo. It flashes during both BIOS and XP loading. As soon as I get to the XP log in screen it takes a major dumpola and that is all she wrote. It's as if it is dead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This navigating a GUI via keystrokes is a major PITA!!!

Oh, and FYI, if you ever have this problem, posting may prove to be a challenge as any kind of post, a thread or PM, must have a title. Guess what, you can't TAB into the title field!!! But you can get to it...you have to SHIFT+TAB back to it. That is the only way I found.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,917 Posts
ouch, man, thats a nice mouse. have you tried plugging it into a different PC?

·
Banned
4,410 Posts
My wifes PC has a ABIT IS-7 E MoBo and in the bois there is a option to disable PS2 functions you might start there

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not as of yet. As I said, I grabbed my old one which is a standard optical and it acts dead as well. The LED flashes during BIOS and XP loading so the mobo is sending at least some power thru the USB lines but when it gets to the login window there is nothing.

Ideas??? I know I don't have any
And the "BIG" rebuild is/was supposed to be tomorrow...new HS, PSU, a c**p load of fans. I'm not gonna bother if this doesn't get resolved.

·
Banned
4,410 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindusar

Not as of yet. As I said, I grabbed my old one which is a standard optical and it acts dead as well. The LED flashes during BIOS and XP loading so the mobo is sending at least some power thru the USB lines but when it gets to the login window there is nothing.

Ideas??? I know I don't have any
And the "BIG" rebuild is/was supposed to be tomorrow...new HS, PSU, a c**p load of fans. I'm not gonna bother if this doesn't get resolved.

Even if USB is disabled upon start up it will still send a signal to all ports to test as it boots into windows

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsLasher

Even if USB is disabled upon start up it will still send a signal to all ports to test as it boots into windows

Yeah, I checked those. Everything is set to enabled. I am dumbfounded and I really don't want to try a reinstall of XP but I don't know what else to do at this point.

Let's just say for sake of argument that the front panel USB ports have a short in them. I would assume the mobo would sense the short and the BIOS would fail to post, no? If it could post, then my next guess would be that it would hose all my USB's because I am assuming they all run together, short one short all. What I didn't think to try last night (too damn late) was to print. My printer is also hooked up via USB so if it has also stopped working then I am guessing I have something more serious going on.

Any other ideas...anybody?

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Maybe something happened to the USB drivers...
Its a long shot but may be worth reinstalling USB mobo drivers.

I dont think a USb device could kill the USB ports but hey strange things do happen to PCs.

• Rep+
Reactions: Bindusar

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDLocK

Maybe something happened to the USB drivers...
Its a long shot but may be worth reinstalling USB mobo drivers.

I dont think a USb device could kill the USB ports but hey strange things do happen to PCs.

Keep those great ideas coming!

Now that you mention it, there was an issue with loading those when I first put the board in. I will give that a try tonight and see if it does the trick. Another thing, after loading the software for the mouse and rebooting ZoneAlarm is now asking to grant permission to backweb.8876480.exe to act as a server. Everything I have read says it isn't something to worry about and that it is Logitech software. I am also wondering if that could be it...but if it was then the mouse should at least function in the log in screen since the software isn't running until I log in, right?

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Sorry to derail, but what is that backweb thing? I got it on my laptop with a Logitech mouse and I've always wondered what it is.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin

Sorry to derail, but what is that backweb thing? I got it on my laptop with a Logitech mouse and I've always wondered what it is.

I googled it...it is Logitech's update software which they say is harmless and is up to the user to leave it enabled or disable it.

·
Banned
1,358 Posts
maybe you can try try pluging that mouse in after the bios screen. hey might work. But you can also try different usb ports, did you?

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindusar

I googled it...it is Logitech's update software which they say is harmless and is up to the user to leave it enabled or disable it.

ah so. Thanks, too lazy to look it up myself

I don't think the USB driver reinstal will help, as you said earlier that the mouse did not work with a PS2 adapter...

Its gotta be an issue with Windows I'd say. Software problems

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you try to uninstall all of your usbs in device manager,? then let windows find the drivers.

• Rep+
Reactions: Bindusar

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
what about the logitech mouse causing a driver or irq conflinct. even when it is not plugged in it can be causing a conflinct. did your previous mouse require drivers?? did you uninstall them??
maybe go into BIOS and change the irq numbers for ps2 port. sorry just chucking a load of ideas your way.

·
Registered
965 Posts
For some reason my mouse quit working one day when I was shutting my pump on and off..

before I fixed my pump, somtiems it would be REALLY loud, so i'd shut it on n off tell its quiet... I was doing this once and noticed everytime I fliped the switch, my mouse red light would shut off..

Then after a couple days of doing it occasionaly, once my mouse just quit working.... completly...

I unplugged, replugged the mouse... no work..

rebooted.. no work... shut the pump off, no work... turned it on, no work...

left my house and came back like 2 hours later... works fine..

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
sadly you may have to try a fresh install of windows.
I had a similar problem when I fixed my neighbors comp.
my keyboard nor mouse would work connected to her comp once I got it running. when I returned it to her, her mouse and keyboard worked perfectly.
wierd thing is she has the same model keyboard, just dif color.

probably first thing you did, but just incase. have you removed the webcam?
also I saw you mention the front usb ports. if those are what you are using, have you tryed the ports on the mobo it's self.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

Backweb sucks. My mouse always acted up till I got rid of it.

Ok troops, here is the battle plan...

Step one: check printer to see if it works...if so then USB drivers are OK, if not then...
Step two: get rid of all USB & mouse drivers with driver cleaner
Step three: reboot with internet disconnected
Step four: reinstall USB drivers and software/drivers for mouse and PRAY like there will be no tomorrow!
Step five: make sure backweb is nowhere to be found
Step six: celebrate by going to bed hopefully before 2AM!

How's that sound for a night of fun and fancy? Did I miss anything?

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDriver

...probably first thing you did, but just incase. have you removed the webcam?...

It isn't a webcam, it is a program called backweb.8876480.exe and it is an auto-update program from Logitech. I will be removing it as Crash has had problems with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

Backweb sucks. My mouse always acted up till I got rid of it.

Crash, how'd you slay the beast? I didn't see anything during the install propting me to choose if I wanted it. Is it listed in the install/uninstall feature or do I need to ferret the damn thing out?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts