Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all. Msi 790GX-G65 (790GX - SB750) or Asus M4A785TD-V Evo (785G - SB710)? On-board graphics aren't necessary. Unlocking cores (on Phenom II x2 550) and Overclocking is.

Thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,538 Posts
go for Msi 790GX-G65 (790GX - SB750)

because is newer chip set sb750

and u can do Crossfire set up running both card on x8 pci-e
8pci-e vs 16pci-e performances differences only 2~3%

the ASUS older chipset + only support one GPU.
when come to crossfire..one card run at x16, one card run at x4..
which will pull down alot of performances on crossfire setup.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by fssbzz
View Post

go for Msi 790GX-G65 (790GX - SB750)

because is newer chip set sb750

and u can do Crossfire set up running both card on x8 pci-e
8pci-e vs 16pci-e performances differences only 2~3%

the ASUS older chipset + only support one GPU.
when come to crossfire..one card run at x16, one card run at x4..
which will pull down alot of performances on crossfire setup.



I don't intend on crossfiring and the only difference I heard between SB750 and SB710 was somthing to do with RAID, which isn't of any importance to me. Now what do you say? Is there any other reason that I should go with the MSI ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,538 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by saadkhan
View Post

I don't intend on crossfiring and the only difference I heard between SB750 and SB710 was somthing to do with RAID, which isn't of any importance to me. Now what do you say? Is there any other reason that I should go with the MSI ?

well ok..hehe..my advice is best bang for your bucks..
if not going to crossfire..
well ok..give me sometime let me check.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Asus as I like their unleash mode if 3 or the 4 cores you can unlock 3 instead of just trying for 4 always and not having it work but if the MSI has this too then MY BAD!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,538 Posts
hey ok. here some guide
choose which u like

hope it helpshttp://www.overclock.net/amd-motherb...ml#post7680980

Quote:


Originally Posted by ChrisB17
View Post

Ok this is the Budget AM3 section. These boards are for people with a tight budget but still want good performance and features.

MSI 790GX-G65

Price. $120.00 via newegg.com.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rchResult=True


Factory specs.
* CPU Type: Phenom II
* FSB: 2600MHz Hyper Transport (5200 MT/s)
* South Bridge: AMD SB750
* Number of Memory Slots: 4Ã-240pin
* Memory Standard: DDR3 1600
* Maximum Memory Supported: 16GB
* Channel Supported: Dual Channel
* PCI Express 2.0 x16: 1 mazarine PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot with x16 operation 1 light-blue PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot with x8 operation When 2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots are all installed, the PCIE x 16 lanes will auto arrange form x16/ x0 to x8/ x8. Do not use the light-blue slot when only.


Pros.
Good stability.
Decent overclocking capabilities.
2 pcie slots.


Cons.

Small pwm section.
Small heatsinks all over. Not a problem but I though I would mention it.
Hideous brown PCB. Not a con for me but for some it might be.
Technical support from MSI is below par.
There are better boards for the price.


Conclusion.
If you want a decent stable no frills motherboard then this might be for you. Its good but to be honest there are better for the same price or cheapers.



ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO

Price $100.00 via newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-398-_-Product

Factory specs.
* CPU Type: Phenom II / Athlon II / Sempron 100 Series
* FSB: 2600MHz Hyper Transport (5200 MT/s)
* South Bridge: AMD SB710
* Number of Memory Slots: 4Ã-240pin
* Memory Standard: DDR3 1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066/800 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
* Maximum Memory Supported: 16GB
* Channel Supported: Dual Channel
* PCI Express 2.0 x16: 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (blue @ x16 mode,gray @ x4 mode)


Pros.

Good onboard graphics. HD4200 w/128mb DDR3-1333 sideport memory.
Good overclocking and stability.
Good heatsinks all around.
2oz copper PCB.
Support is decent along with bios updates.
2 pcie slots.

Cons.
1 pcie slots runs x4 when in crossfire mode.
4-pin power. Again not a problem.
5 Sata ports.
Brown PCB. Again personal preference.
Users report bios updates needed to run C3 chips.


Overall.
This board is very similar to the ASUS M4A79XTD EVO. But I'd take this board out of the two. The reason is that this one is cheap and has better onboard graphics and a newer chipset. But if you want to crossfire then you might want to look at the 790x version apposed to this due to the fact this on does 16x4 crossfire apposed to the 8x8 on the 790x. They are both good its just between weather you want good onboard graphics or 8x8 crossfire.



More to come.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,538 Posts
if u wish to overclock very high..can go for ASUS..

Pros.
Good onboard graphics. HD4200 w/128mb DDR3-1333 sideport memory.
Good overclocking and stability.
Good heatsinks all around.
2oz copper PCB.
Support is decent along with bios updates.
2 pcie slots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fssbzz View Post
if u wish to overclock very high..can go for ASUS..

Pros.
Good onboard graphics. HD4200 w/128mb DDR3-1333 sideport memory.
Good overclocking and stability.
Good heatsinks all around.
2oz copper PCB.
Support is decent along with bios updates.
2 pcie slots.
Thanks man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,981 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by fssbzz
View Post

if u wish to overclock very high..can go for ASUS..

Pros.
Good onboard graphics. HD4200 w/128mb DDR3-1333 sideport memory.
Good overclocking and stability.
Good heatsinks all around.
2oz copper PCB.
Support is decent along with bios updates.
2 pcie slots.

I have this ASUS M4A785TD-V-EVEO and It's BEAST!!! Does 1900+Mhz With Ram EASY!!!! 3.8Ghz+ on the CPU and 2800+Mhz on the NB Easy! The Onbaord Graphics have some Crazy OCnig capabilities as well!

Go with the ASUS!!!!!!! MSI Tech Support is not good. It's VERY hard to understand the guys! They have a Major Asian Accent. To the point that it takes numerous times of asking what they said and I was phone rep for Quicken Loans for 2.5 years!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,111 Posts
Asus > MSI (in my books, for support if any thing)

Gut feeling but it's pretty subjective stuff without actual comparisons... lol

Having personally built a PII 955-based system on this "EVO" board, using the onboard 4200 graphics (for a guy that doesn't play games) the result was excellent and so far has been a very solid machine Windows 7 x64... (with an SSD even!)
 

·
Mining the DB
Joined
·
2,333 Posts
Quote:


the ASUS older chipset + only support one GPU.

Lol, Completely wong. the 790 was released wayyyy before the 785. sure the 790 was considerd the top end range, the only difference is the 790 offers sb750 which has RAID 5. I had the ASUS board before upgrading 2 months ago and i must say i loved it( hence i have another asus
, sold my 785 to my brother). You do not need to update the bios for C3, in fact i had my athlon II 620 running at a mild OC at 3.25 (13 * 250) and plugged in my 965, booted up and it didnt clear the FSB to default and was running at 4250 for first time usage, i was like W T F. If you do not plan on going crossfire then its a great board. even if you do crossfire with say 4850's in crossfired at x4 will be ok, not too much of a drop from running at full x16 for 4850's. if you run 57 or 58 series cards the x4 wont cut it though, however 8 wont be bad. only with the 5970 can you see i bit of a jump from pci e at 8 to 16 for crossfire. for the 5870 running at x8 ther is a very slight jump going to x16, maybe 5 fps if that.

Go with the ASUS. enuf said.
 

·
OG AMD
Joined
·
8,954 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by saadkhan
View Post

The title says it all. Msi 790GX-G65 (790GX - SB750) or Asus M4A785TD-V Evo (785G - SB710)? On-board graphics aren't necessary. Unlocking cores (on Phenom II x2 550) and Overclocking is.

Thanks.

Why not the 790x then? The M4A79XTD EVO is probably the best bet in that price range.The MSI 790X-G45 is an excellent board as well,but I think the Asus has a mosfet cooler plus a beefier power phase design,along with dual PCI slots.Cant go wrong there.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top