Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting this CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103727

What would you consider the best mobo(s) for this CPU to be? Stable, reliable, overclockable!

If you have a better CPU and MOBO combination, I welcome your recommendations.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that I want 2x GTX 280's (so an sli mobo). Would that CPU bottleneck the GPU's? Thanks.

·
Banned
435 Posts
No bottleneck but if you do not have GPU's yet, I would recommend ATI. 4870,4890,5770 or 5870. The 4000 series are Dx10 and the 5000 series supports Dx11. This would bring you to looking for crossfire supported motherboard of course instead of SLI.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
My favorite brand for motherboards has always been (and will be until they release a bad motherboard) Gigabyte! I've had great success with my UD4P and my i7 and I know they make great AMD boards as well. Definitely stick with the Ultra Durable series (UDxxx). Buy the best one you can afford!

·
I heard you were dead...
8,475 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx View Post
My favorite brand for motherboards has always been (and will be until they release a bad motherboard) Gigabyte! I've had great success with my UD4P and my i7 and I know they make great AMD boards as well. Definitely stick with the Ultra Durable series (UDxxx). Buy the best one you can afford!
I agree with this. I love my UD4P. Also, why not save some money and get a 955BE instead of a 965BE; they're the exact same chip.

Unless you're going to get a really good deal on the GTX280s (like $180-$200 per card) you might as well go with 2x 5850s because they'll beat the 280s in gaming and they support DX11. If Iwere you I'd wait until The nVidia GTX400-series comes out to buy them though, because the prices will probably drop.

·
Registered
664 Posts
IIRC, the last thing the GT200 series would do is go down in price. Nvidia is phasing them out as quick as possible to make room for Fermi.

As for GPU performance on a PCI-e 8x slot, the performance drop is < 1%.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thosesneakyfrench
View Post

IIRC, the last thing the GT200 series would do is go down in price. Nvidia is phasing them out as quick as possible to make room for Fermi.

As for GPU performance on a PCI-e 8x slot, the performance drop is < 1%.

I think only the latest high end cards is where there is actually starting to be a bottleneck, but even then, you're right. It's a very insignificant difference.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
With the 5870, the performance drop was 3% from X16 to X8.

·
Banned
435 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx View Post
With the 5870, the performance drop was 3% from X16 to X8.
I do not think there is any performance difference at high res. At 8x you will never fully use the bandwith anyhow.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drdeath View Post
I do not think there is any performance difference at high res. At 8x you will never fully use the bandwith anyhow.
This is not true. The higher the resolution, the bigger the difference is going to be because the framerate is more dependent of the GPU than in lower resolutions. That said, 3% difference might not even mean a single frame in most games. My point was that the difference is so small with the BEST single GPU card out now, that I wouldn't let it deter you. If he was planning on running dual 5970's, he might see a slightly higher bandwidth cap. But I haven't seen any tests on that yet, so who knows.

EDIT: Post 3,666!!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubz
View Post

I like that MSI board, I think I may get that. What would be some good ram for it? How are these? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231314

I don't know what some good RAM for that would be. I just am using some g.skill DDR3 1333 sticks on my board, and my current board is not that MSI one, however I just got paid so I might be switching on over to it very shortly.

I'm sure that RAM would be fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts