Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an Intel G3258 and am overclocking it with an MSI H81M P-33.

I've seen folks overclock with this combo just fine on youtube and such.

However, I have two problems with my CPU:

1) My CPU voltage reads 0.144v in CPU-Z and HWMonitor. It never changes even when on full load (Prime 95). Does this mean the CPU voltage monitor is bad?

2) I can't overclock at all. Even a small overclock to 3.6Ghz or 4.0GHz causes my computer to not be able to boot into windows. It gets through BIOS just fine - but when it gets to the windows logo, it just restarts the entire computer.

Is my CPU bad?

Edit:

I don't think it's my Windows 7 either (even though the crash screen says new hardware error) - because I overclocked my Sandybridge chip just fine with the same copy of Windows 7.

Specs: G3258 (made in Vietnam chip), MSI H81M-P33, 8GB RAM, Antec 550watt PSU, Windows 7

Final Edit:

Problem solved. It turns out that a POS Microsoft Windows update bricked all G3258 CPUs that were overclocked in Windows 7/8/10. Windows Update KB3064209 causes computers with the G3258 to crash (especially with overclocking). Uninstalling the update re-enables the overclocking ability.

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
Is that board able to change the CPU voltage at all?

As for the Windows restart... I've actually not had that happen due to a bad OC. Typically if my OC is bad, it won't clear BIOS, reset, and will bring to me a failed OC screen.
What PSU are you using? Do you have anything other than CPU multiplier changed?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsSalvation View Post

Is that board able to change the CPU voltage at all?

As for the Windows restart... I've actually not had that happen due to a bad OC. Typically if my OC is bad, it won't clear BIOS, reset, and will bring to me a failed OC screen.
What PSU are you using? Do you have anything other than CPU multiplier changed?
Using an Antec TP-550, which is overkill for this HTPC. I'm only running the CPU - no graphics card.

I have nothing but the CPU multiplier changed. Yes, it's able to change CPU voltage. I've tried setting it a bit higher or lower, but with no luck. Windows crashes/resets back to BIOS with any overclock.

Do you think it could be a motherboard problem?

Specs: G3258 (made in Vietnam chip), MSI H81M-P33, 8GB RAM, Antec 550watt PSU, Windows 7

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
HAHAHA

Just realized I was helping out in another thread. Anyway, lower end motherboards won't have good VRMs, which means that you will have a harder time getting a chip stable even at a lower speed. Are you able to try 3.8GHz at 1.2v? Is it currently able to load into Windows at stock?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it runs Windows at stock. It reboots at the Windows logo at ANY overclock whatsoever. I tried overclocking it to 3.3Ghz by setting the CPU ratio to 33. Even with a measly 100MHz overclock, it still reboots at the Windows logo and can't start into windows.

I have tried reinstalling Windows 7 - it didn't help.

This doesn't seem like a CPU problem by itself, but coupled with the fact that the CPU has a stuck voltage sensor at 0.144, I'm getting suspicious...

Edit:

I don't think it's my Windows 7 either (even though the crash screen says new hardware error) - because I overclocked my Sandybridge chip just fine with the same copy of Windows 7.

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
Were you adjusting the CPU voltage at all while trying this? And can you check to see what BIOS version you have?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Were you adjusting the CPU voltage at all while trying this? And can you check to see what BIOS version you have?
Yep, I tried voltages at auto and 1.1v to 1.2v.

I tried this with BIOS version 1.9 (latest version) and Bios 1.7 (flashed it to an older BIOS to test).

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreendeath View Post

1) My CPU voltage reads 0.144v in CPU-Z and HWMonitor. It never changes even when on full load (Prime 95). Does this mean the CPU voltage monitor is bad?
Maybe Hwinfo will give you a more accurate reading.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a screenshot of CPU-Z, HW Monitor, and HW Info. (I still can't find the CPU core voltage for HWinfo - all I see is CPU VID)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Check the VIN10 entry for Vcore in HWiNFO.

bPF1eGU.png

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by emc_2 View Post

Check the VIN10 entry for Vcore in HWiNFO.

bPF1eGU.png
My Vin10 says 0.144 - same as yours, weird. What does this mean?

I see you have the same CPU and same motherboard as me. Did you change anything besides the CPU ratio when overclocking you G3258?

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
VIN13 looks like the closest realistic VCore number

·
Registered
760 Posts
Quote:

My Vin10 says 0.144 - same as yours, weird. What does this mean?

I see you have the same CPU and same motherboard as me. Did you change anything besides the CPU ratio when overclocking you G3258?
*Shrugs* I'm guessing that since this board was never intended for OC'ing - MSI cheaped out on the Vcore sensor.

Changed the voltage and some other settings. Lemme dig up an empty flash drive and I'll take some screenshots of my BIOS.

P.S. You need to use an older version of CPU-Z (v1.72.0) to view the Vcore.

o1ha7qC.png

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

VIN13 looks like the closest realistic VCore number
So the CPU sensor is whacked?
Quote:

*Shrugs* I'm guessing that since this board was never intended for OC'ing - MSI cheaped out on the Vcore sensor.

Changed the voltage and some other settings. Lemme dig up an empty flash drive and I'll take some screenshots of my BIOS.

P.S. You need to use an older version of CPU-Z (v1.72.0) to view the Vcore.

o1ha7qC.png
Hmm thanks. I just downloaded 20 versions of CPU-Z, and the latest one that worked for me is version 1.66
frown.gif

I still don't know why I can't overclock at all though. Do you think this is a CPU problem or is my motherboard bad?

PS, I'm also running 1600MHz RAM, but I think it should be downclocking by default to the 1333Mhz. CPU-Z says 666, so x2 I'm assuming that is good. Would this affect my OC crashes at windows?

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
Uhh... For his screenshot it seems that VIN13 could have been it, but definitely not on your screenshot (or at least I hope).

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that voltage monitoring software are not going to be reliable even in the slightest for you guys. There are a lot of issue I'm seeing with those screenshots.

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisiss View Post

This may not have anything to do with hardware. Apparently there was/is a problem with overclocking this CPU and certain updates of Windows 7, 8, and 10.

Check out this article..

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/win-10-g3258-issue-microcode/2b8ba9bd-24e4-4b4a-8d39-abc738a3dec5

I'm not sure if this has been resolved but it may be worth taking a look at.
Holy ****. HOLY ****. I followed your advice, googled software errors with Windows 7 + G3258, and found out that Windows update KB3064209 was a problem with G3258 chips.
I uninstalled the update, and NOW IT WORKS!!!

You saved me from having to RMA my CPU and motherboard. THANKS DUDE!!! Epic REP.

PS: HWinfo's VIN13 also doesn't show CPU core voltage, because it keeps showing 1.112v despite me changing core voltages around from auto to 1.1 to 1.2, etc

·
Registered
760 Posts
Quote:

So the CPU sensor is whacked?
Hmm thanks. I just downloaded 20 versions of CPU-Z, and the latest one that worked for me is version 1.66
frown.gif

I still don't know why I can't overclock at all though. Do you think this is a CPU problem or is my motherboard bad?

PS, I'm also running 1600MHz RAM, but I think it should be downclocking by default to the 1333Mhz. CPU-Z says 666, so x2 I'm assuming that is good. Would this affect my OC crashes at windows?
It will downclock to 1333, you can set it to an even 1400 though.

Quote:

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that voltage monitoring software are not going to be reliable even in the slightest for you guys. There are a lot of issue I'm seeing with those screenshots.
Yeah haha, I doubt it. Doesn't bother me though, I used a Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 (same model that you have) to dial in the settings needed - before putting the CPU in this MSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisiss View Post

This may not have anything to do with hardware. Apparently there was/is a problem with overclocking this CPU and certain updates of Windows 7, 8, and 10.

Check out this article..

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/win-10-g3258-issue-microcode/2b8ba9bd-24e4-4b4a-8d39-abc738a3dec5

I'm not sure if this has been resolved but it may be worth taking a look at.
Good catch! I had completely forgot about that. I only run/install updates that I manually install after reading the KB articles, to make sure nothing gets borked like that. So I managed to avoid those ones. Bluescreendeath; you might have one of MS/Intel's micro-code updates that disables OC'ing.

Here are the pics:
BzkLetN.png

YXlYI3r.png

bM6eZf6.png

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

It will downclock to 1333, you can set it to an even 1400 though.
Yeah haha, I doubt it. Doesn't bother me though, I used a Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 (same model that you have) to dial in the settings needed - before putting the CPU in this MSI.
Good catch! I had completely forgot about that. I only run/install updates that I manually install after reading the KB articles, to make sure nothing gets borked like that. So I managed to avoid those ones. Bluescreendeath; you might have one of MS/Intel's micro-code updates that disables OC'ing.

Here are the pics:
BzkLetN.png

YXlYI3r.png

bM6eZf6.png
It's a shame I can't rep Moisiss more than once.

Microcode update that disables OCing? So Intel purposely teamed up with Microsoft to screw over G3258 owners? :O

1 - 20 of 36 Posts