Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the prob: I live in a place where theres a lot of dust in the air (construction). As a result my casing gets dusty as hell in just a matter of days.

I have a CM690 with the following fan placement:
3 x intake
3 x exhaust
with a negative airflow (more air going out than coming in).

Im thinking of going with a positive airflow. thoughts? what else can I do to prevent dust accumulation inside?

Yes I use a blower twice every month but all the dust buildup inside has really started to become a PITA.

Any suggestion would be most welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts
Everything as intake with the exception of the back, air will naturally leak out through all possible spaces. Amazon sells some silverstone dust filters that works great and is dirt cheap, you can buy a set of 6 for $18, and get yourself some dusters while at it and have it shipped for free.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Put one of these behind or in front of each 120mm fan if you can.

Now it might reduce airflow slightly since the air has to go through the filter, but it'll collect dust.

Another alternative for other fans that are too big or if you don't want the filters is putting pantyhose on the fan, might look ghetto but it'll stop dust from getting through.

I'd suggest putting the pantyhose on the front of the fan for best results.

Every 2-3 weeks just take em off an wipe em down with a mini-broom from a dustpan.

·
Registered
534 Posts
+1 on the dust filters.

I have the Silverstone filters on the 4 120mm fans I have on my 800D. It's especially helpful on the fan that pushes to the radiator as I noticed after just a few weeks that the rad had some dust in the fins.

The bottom case has a built-in filter and the front bay has a thick filter as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Dust filters restrict fans so they move less air, and some dust is still capable of getting in. If fresh air is coming into your case, dust is going to get in. The best way to completely avoid having dust is having no intake and putting something over areas that air may enter the case.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts