Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting for the Egg to ship my Sig Rig Upgrade. Stepping up from AM2 to AM3. I thought I understood that the Phenom II x 4 955's onboard Memory Controller would use triple channel memory sticks to run faster than dual channel. Was I dreaming? Can anyone tell me the best setup? Is triple channel (3 sticks of DDR3 1600) better ? Should I add another stick and run dual channel 8gb? I don't think you can buy just 1 stick can you? I think I would have to buy 2 sticks (4gb ) and than have an extra stick. What would the benefit be , or should I stay at 6gb triple channel??????
Thanks ahead of time.

·
Iconoclast
30,639 Posts
No consumer AMD CPUs support triple channel.

You must have been dreaming.

• Rep+
Reactions: XJBluto

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Nope, AM3 only supports Dual Channel still. Theres no real reason for triple channel currently. Do 2 4GB sticks for 8GB in dual channel, or 2 sticks of 2gb for 4gb in dual channel.

·
Bod ***s rock
22,857 Posts
only i7 can triple channel

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3T4LM4N222 View Post
Nope, AM3 only supports Dual Channel still. Theres no real reason for triple channel currently. Do 2 4GB sticks for 8GB in dual channel, or 2 sticks of 2gb for 4gb in dual channel.
or 4 sticks of 2GB for 8GB in dual channel

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can I run all 3 sticks? If so, would I use the two A1B1 slots for the two and A2 slot for the third? I assume I would run 4gb as dual channel and the 2gb as single channel??
The QVL for the ASUS mobo said they supported the triple channel kits..
I am lost here.....
Help!
CAn I run 6GB on this setup?

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
4gb in dual would be better

• Rep+
Reactions: XJBluto

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Just a though, since the ram is already low voltage you might be able to very heavily overclock them by bumping up the voltage just a little bit. Could make for very nice sticks of ram on a dual channel setup without the ram voltage limit

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and see if that is enough ram for gaming and apps. I can't find a single stick of this ram anywhere. I would hate to have to buy another 6gb tri-channel set, just to get another 2gb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts