Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

OK so at home i got a dsl router given by my ISP since its with TV and all.

so its a Thompson tg784 with 4 LAN ports and WiFi, and TV box's are connected to those.

one of the TV box is in my room on the far end of the house, where the WiFi doesn't reach. So i have a linksys wrt54GL lying around from my previous setup.

what i want is to connect the Ethernet cable that goes to my box in my room, connecting the box the the wrt54GL and have WiFi internet access int the rest of the house.
but what kind of config do i need on the wrt54GL so it extends the network from my dsl supplier so the TV box still works and i have WiFi in the rest of the home.

thanks all

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Check out DD-WRT.
It will do exactly what you're wanting it to.
It's how I have mine done. Main wireless router on one side of house.
My WRT on the other side of the house as a Client Bridge.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it easy to do? could you give me some tips on how to do it?

so all the computers connected to the linksys are on the same network with same ip adress range?

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
You don't need to use a 3-rd party firmware (e.g. DD-WRT) to achieve this.

I am doing this with 2 separate routers configured as Wireless Access Points (WAP).

All you have to do is:
  • disable the DHCP in the WAP router
  • set the LAN IP of the WAP Router to an address within the range assigned by the main router (e.g. if the main router is 192.168.0.1 set the WAP to 192.168.0.2)
  • Connect a network cable from the LAN side of the main router to the LAN side of the WAP router
  • Configure the wireless settings in both routers; I use the same channel, SSID, and security settings in all of them

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by radodrill View Post
You don't need to use a 3-rd party firmware (e.g. DD-WRT) to achieve this.

I am doing this with 2 separate routers configured as Wireless Access Points (WAP).

All you have to do is:
  • disable the DHCP in the WAP router
  • set the LAN IP of the WAP Router to an address within the range assigned by the main router (e.g. if the main router is 192.168.0.1 set the WAP to 192.168.0.2)
  • Connect a network cable from the LAN side of the main router to the LAN side of the WAP router
  • Configure the wireless settings in both routers; I use the same channel, SSID, and security settings in all of them
thank you

I will test this in the morning.

but will the tv box work?

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XiZeL View Post
but will the tv box work?
Everything else will still work the same; basically all you're doing on the additional router is turning off the DHCP server (leaving it on would cause IP conflicts on your network), thus setting that router to act solely as a network switch and wireless access point.

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XiZeL View Post
is it easy to do? could you give me some tips on how to do it?

so all the computers connected to the linksys are on the same network with same ip adress range?
There is guides on the DD-WRT website how to get it onto your router. Not to mention hundreds of guides on the web on how to Client Bridge two routers. Not to mention DD-WRT gives you more control over your router than stock firmware does.

The WRT54GL (L standing for Linux) is the one that is quite sought after because of it's ability to flash DD-WRT to it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by radodrill
View Post

Everything else will still work the same; basically all you're doing on the additional router is turning off the DHCP server (leaving it on would cause IP conflicts on your network), thus setting that router to act solely as a network switch and wireless access point.

thank you sir...
working 100%
and repped

edit
cant rep u but thanks anyhow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts