Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 8800GT with "cooling extras", including iandh's ramsinks, and some kind of a jumbo heatsink with fins, but, unfortunately did not include any fans. (yeah). In the picture below, you can see that with the heatsink reaching so close to the neighboring GTX260, that only leaves around 20mm of free space. (MB only has two PCIE slots). I am considering getting a couple of 60mm x 10mm fans, YSTech or Galaxy or some such similarly sized fans with around 17CFM, to ghetto-wire to the fins.

Attachment 145967

But that still would leave little room for the fans to bring in air, or would they be OK? Are there any other options, short of replacing the heatsink with a heatsink/fan combination like the Accelero or the Musushi, etc.

I'm actually in the midst of switching my system to water cooling, so it's possible my caseflow isn't what it should be, but my other card stays cool even folding. I won't be pushing this card at all, so I just some way to keep it relatively cool. BTW, when I installed the card before realizing there was not fan attached, it within 3 minutes reached 100, so it can't run as is.

Thanks,

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief View Post
I just got one of these for my 8800gt

Idles at 98.6, weird lol. and load at 120.

Stock cooler idled at 125- load of 160.
Wait, WHAT? That cooler is for a CPU... did you mean some other Thermaltake product? And is the temp sensor just very off on these cards, or what? I'm in unfamiliar territory! I thought I read somewhere to try to keep temps under 90, so when I saw 100, I panicked.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This guy who sold me the card is a piece of work. I am looking at the card right now, because the heatsink isn't even seated flush with the processor, and he is telling me it was getting max temp of 70 in furmark with fully loaded CPU. He must be lying. At boot the thing is already at 85 and I have a clean cool system, UNDERCLOCKED.

Look at these pictures. There is no way this is an effective mounting. No way.

I need to write the guy again... it's not just that it's a passive cooling card, it is that there is no way it is an effective one.
LL
LL
LL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts