Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want opinions on the best RAID 5 card I can get with expandability. I am slowly building up a 20 TB RAID for storing blu-ray movies in HQ. Here are the requirements:

- Expandable array (I don't want to lose my data every additional hard drive, I am also not buying 10 x 2 TB hard drives at once, and I will be expanding once I get more and more movies.
- RAID 5 support (I need redundancy, I don't care so much about speed)
- Support for 10 hard drives at least

Much appreciated, and +Rep to useful information about the subject and suggestions.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I love Adaptec RAID controllers.......
I have one.
Downside:EXPENSIVE

Adaptec RAID 51645-Yeah I know that it has 16 internal, but maybe you will add more HDDs.?.?

Adaptec RAID 51245-This one has 12 internal.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, however the are EXTREMELY expensive. I can see why, but $700-$800 for a RAID card is too much for me.

·
Intel Extreme 1366
1,665 Posts
Sadly...RAID cards are always going to be expensive...brand new. It'd be best to find one used if you're wanting to spend less money.

As I suggested in another thread...try to find yourself an Areca ARC-1230 or 1260. If you're lucky and patient enough...you may be able to find one at a decent used price (found my 1260 for $350).

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Limes
View Post

I want opinions on the best RAID 5 card I can get with expandability. I am slowly building up a 20 TB RAID for storing blu-ray movies in HQ. Here are the requirements:

- Expandable array (I don't want to lose my data every additional hard drive, I am also not buying 10 x 2 TB hard drives at once, and I will be expanding once I get more and more movies.
- RAID 5 support (I need redundancy, I don't care so much about speed)
- Support for 10 hard drives at least

Much appreciated, and +Rep to useful information about the subject and suggestions.

The PERC 5/e is a good choice, but get the PERC 6/e if you can, especially if you're going to 10 drives. Hit eBay - you should be able to get one for $200 or less; they're common because they are pulled from retired Dell servers, hence the cheap price.

Are you sure you're looking for the 5/e or 6/e? That card requires a connection to an external disk box, or to the external connection on a SAS expander. The PERC 5/i and 6/i are the internal models, but they will only see 8 physical drives unless you replace the firmware with LSI firmware.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by parityboy;12055070
The PERC 5/e is a good choice, but get the PERC 6/e if you can, especially if you're going to 10 drives. Hit eBay - you should be able to get one for $200 or less; they're common because they are pulled from retired Dell servers, hence the cheap price.

Are you sure you're looking for the 5/e or 6/e? That card requires a connection to an external disk box, or to the external connection on a SAS expander. The PERC 5/i and 6/i are the internal models, but they will only see 8 physical drives unless you replace the firmware with LSI firmware.
Sorry for the late bump, I put the project on hold till I got my first set of hard drives. I did mean internal sorry.

Whats the difference between PERC 6/i and PERC 5/i?

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,744 Posts
The other different is performance. The PERC 6/i is a native PCIe device, while the PERC 5/i has an internal PCI-X bridge, which limits it to 500MB/sec on writes. One good thing about the 5/i is that it can be flashed with LSI firmware, which should allow it to see more than 8 internal drives.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by parityboy
View Post

The other different is performance. The PERC 6/i is a native PCIe device, while the PERC 5/i has an internal PCI-X bridge, which limits it to 500MB/sec on writes. One good thing about the 5/i is that it can be flashed with LSI firmware, which should allow it to see more than 8 internal drives.

It sounds and looks by the link posted by Shub that the PERC 6/i is a better choice. Is it possible to allow more than 8 drives with the PERC 6/i? such as doing the flash you mentioned for PERC 5/i?

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,744 Posts
By rights, it is the better card, which why I have one.
I'm not sure that there is an LSI firmware that will work on the PERC 6/i. You might want to ask in the sticky PERC 5/i & 6/i thread.

• Rep+
Reactions: Limes

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by parityboy
View Post

By rights, it is the better card, which why I have one.
I'm not sure that there is an LSI firmware that will work on the PERC 6/i. You might want to ask in the sticky PERC 5/i & 6/i thread.

Alright, I asked there as well. +Rep to you and everyone who posted.

If anyone knows, feel free to bump this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts