Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a relatively quiet gaming build that will also be used for movie watching and anything else I need my comp for....

Parts I already have that I'm planning to use for now:
Case: Antec P183
SSD: Intel X25-M 80GB
HD: WD Caviar Black 640GB
Sound Card: Creative SB Audigy2 ZS
Monitor: Samsung XL2370 1920x1080
Optical: Samsung SH-S223Q
Keyboard: Filco Majestouch
Mouse: Logitech G5

Parts I tentatively plan on purchasing:
CPU: Intel Core i5 750 ~200
MOBO: Asus P7P55D-E Pro ~190
PSU: Antec CP-850 ~110
RAM: G.Skill Eco DDR3 1600 CL7 ~120
GPU: Sapphire 5870 VaporX ~440
Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalem ~65
HS Fan: Scythe GT 1850rpm ~16
Case Fans: Scythe S-Flex E x2 ~30
Headset: ATH AD700 ~87
Mic: Zalman Clip on ~14
Speakers: M-Audio Studiophile AV30 ~100

So about ~1370. Some wiggle room but would like to keep remaining purchases to <1400 ideally. Though obviously some things can be purchased later.

Stuff I keep changing my mind about and need input on:
1) Mega or Venomous X? I don't like the idea of Wobble though might allow more OC? But for a i5 will it matter much?

2) Use PK-1 TIM that comes with Mega, or buy IC7?

3) Should I get different ram? Not convinced about tall heatspreaders on lower voltage ram...

4) Bluray player now or wait for cheaper Bluray burner later?

5) Onboard sound vs Audigy2 ZS vs buying Asus Xonar DX

I'm open to any and all other suggestions and comments! Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
433 Posts
1st off I would definitely say ditch the I5 and go with the I7 920. You WILL NOT be disappointed. From looking at your plans going I7 will only cost you about $60-80 more. You can find the 920s now for $200m a good x58 mobo for $200-$225, and a good tri-channel RAM kit for about $160. The I7 will be a pretty big improvement over the I5 and you will be that much more future proof.
To answer you questions--
!.) Megahalems (also check out the Corsair H50, it's small and quiet)
2.) IC7 will only yield about 2c less and it's very hard to apply, so your call (OCZ freeze is nice)
3.) I like Corsair XMP series for the price, but Kingston HyperX is my favorite.
4.) Blu-ray player will be much cheapier, just really consider how often you would use the burner.
5.) I would stick with on board, see how you like it. If it is not up to your standards then it is no problem at all to add a sound card at any later time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of improvements would you expect to see? From reviews I've read an overclocked i5 750 keeps up with the i7 920 in game and apps not taking advantage of HT? Part of my mobo selection is that it has USB3 and SATA 6gb which in an X58 board would take me up to like the 290-300 range...

I've thought about it myself though. GPU tech doesn't need all 16 PCIe lanes yet... though I guess they do need slightly more than 8. Sigh. Decisions decisions. Although if I went with X58 I'd get the the Core i7 930 and not the 920.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I haven't had much luck with my blu-ray player I would wait for the technology to improve/price to come down. I bought the i7-920, I am VERY happy with it. If you are going strickly gaming/video I would stick with your platform, maybe go a few extra dollars for a processor that has hyperthreading, will help with video.

just some opinionsss

1 - 6 of 6 Posts