Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day i was de-dusting my computer and i got rid of a dust build up on my psu and now it smell's like burning and its a really bad smell, it smell's almost like burnt gun powder!!!!!! help HELP

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Heh, what happens when you turn on the heater the first time of the year. It smells like burning!

Really... I'm not sure. You make have gotten some dust in there that is burning. It sounds like it has already run its course...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by amped

It must be one of them coal-powered PSU's.

HAR HAR HAR, its a 250w stock dell so i guess it is **** powered
, any ways im going to turn it off and go figure some get rich quick schemes to build a good computer.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
it sounds like the dust dunny's are on slowly burning. get them outta that psu and that mite do it. otherwise it could be that a piece of cord thats plastic is slow burning also?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bwomp969

it sounds like the dust dunny's are on slowly burning. get them outta that psu and that mite do it. otherwise it could be that a piece of cord thats plastic is slow burning also?

out how? air canister? take it apart? it may be a tie wrap end or smuthing, dell shipped it without the tie wrap ends cut!! if i cut um it voids my warrenty

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
take it apart, but at the time i didnt no it was a dell so u void warranty fyi if u even take the psu outta place let alone take it apart

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
I would get a RMA from Dell. There systems only work with Dell PSUs, so you cant just stick in an Antec or something.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i have a dell 4700 which i took the psu out of my friends new case and popped it in it its 450 watts... been working fine

·
Registered
121 Posts
the new dells dont have propriatery psu and mobos...

as for the topic, you probalby just blew some dust onto or around the transformer.

Keep an eye on it if you see a flame or smoke. unplug it.

the dust will eventually burn.

edit: Maybe your just thinking too hard?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by storm22

HAR HAR HAR, its a 250w stock dell so i guess it is **** powered
, any ways im going to turn it off and go figure some get rich quick schemes to build a good computer.

Hi Storm22,

I've had the same thing happen to me. That's why now I use a vacuum cleaner to clean out the dust first, then blow the dust out into the vacuum nozzle (while it's running!) to clear out everything I can. Those dust bunnies do stink, but I never had any real fires.

BTW - you mentioned that the PSU was a 250W Dell stock item. Some of those type power supplies are NOT standard in size. Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway and others save monies on their PC's by giving you the least in the area of power.

I hope this helped, :)

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatricKGG

What are you NUTS?
never use a vacuum cleaner on your pc if theres any static discharge you gonna fry your p.c.
go buy a electronic safe canister of air for 7 or 8 bucks unless you wanna buy a whole new system every now and then.

this can help you out a little.
http://www.wiscocomputing.com/articles/maintenance.htm

Hi PatricKGG,

Nope! But allow me to re-phrase. The initial post was on the psu. Using the plastic end of a vacuum cleaner on the air vent of the psu, might suck out some of the dust particals. After an initial sweep over the psu, use a can of Blow-off or similar product and blow into the psu with vacuum end 6-8" from the opposite. Any dust being blown off will be sucked up into the vacuum cleaner and not spread around on the other components or you. I also use a small battery powered vacuum designed for this task, which I did not mention and I apologize for this oversite. I was in a hurry...

Always do any cleaning of a computer with it off and unplugged. Never jab or stab objects into the case for fear of loosening connections or breaking off capacitors and such. I've also used the swiffer dust wipes on the larger areas at the bottom of the case, case sides, fan blades, etc. Always ground yourself before poking around in a computer case. There is static in there as well. If you have a static band or other device, you should use it.

As for the article. It was interesting, but I personally don't disconnect any of the internal cables, connectors or such when cleaning. To much of a chance breaking something and making your pride and joy or someone else's a hugh paper weight.
The article did state using a battery powered vacuum was Ok:
< "It is safe to use a plastic nozzle of the vacuum cleaner to suck up dirt, dust, food, and hair from keyboards and the outside of the case. Never use an electric vacuum cleaner on the inside of the computer case. Electric vacuum cleaners create static electricity that can damage the internal components.
Battery powered handheld vacuum cleaners should not touch internal components. Getting too close can accidentally loosen cable connections, or remove jumpers from computer cards and the motherboard.">

I hope this helped explain a few thing, :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts