Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every Linux distro I try seems to have the same basic problems that keep me from using it for the majority of my work. If someone can help me fix those problems, I will probubly switch over to using linux 95% of the time!

Here are my problems:

1: The fonts for overclock.net look like crap
2: Flash videos lag a bit, which throughs the audio off
3: Only Ubuntu recognizes my wireless card
4: Running Warcraft III in opengl mode with WINE results in jumps and freezes (running on laptop with Radeon 7000, which runs it fine under Windows)

Also, if someone could recomend a good, indepth Linux book, that would be great!

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by christian_piper
http://www.getautomatix.com/

Use it in ubuntu to install the Flash Player, and "Extra Fonts"

Plus other assorted stuff

And you will have less problems.. (At least the fonts will be fixed)
Ya, I have used that in Ubuntu, but I dont really like Ubuntu, lol... I duno, just somthing about it...

Does automatix work with other distros?

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
1. If running a *buntu distro, you can use Automatix to install extra fonts. Otherwise, you have to do it yourself; there are countless guides on how to do it, and you can also check if your browser offers extra fonts for download.
2. Flash is very close to crap under Linux (compared to Windows). There are several fixes you can perform, but you will always suffer from lags and lack of sound.
3. Wireless cards are a real :swearing: to install under Linux. Some are recognized "out-of-the-box", but those are either really old models or really hard to come by. In most cases you can get them to work with ndiswrapper. Again, there are hundreds upon hundreds of guides for installing wireless cards in Linux (best you know the exact model and chipset).
4. Games (specially newer ones) don't run well on Wine (and even on Cedega). There are ways of making Wine behave, but it usually involves long lines of code and all that fun stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
For Fonts Go to Edit->Pereferences
Then go to the content tab and go down to fonts. Serf looks good IMO. Also click advance and then uncheck the box that says let webpages choose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts