Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says I am having alot of trouble flashing my bios. This is not my sig rig its my old comp that i put a new cpu in.

At the startup it says that a Bios update is needed to unleash the full power of my cpu (E8400 3 gig).

So anyways I go to the Asus website and they are talking about puting the bios on a Floppy disk and booting up the Ezflash utility. Will I have not touched a flopy disket in i dont know how long and my last 2 computers did not even have a floppy disk drive. And to top it all of my new case for the computer im trying to get to work does not even have a place to install a floppy disk drive.

Like ***??? Have any of you guys had this problem? How do you update the bios? Is there a way to do it from Vista 64 bit?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmo_9000
View Post

Like the title says I am having alot of trouble flashing my bios. This is not my sig rig its my old comp that i put a new cpu in.

At the startup it says that a Bios update is needed to unleash the full power of my cpu (E8400 3 gig).

So anyways I go to the Asus website and they are talking about puting the bios on a Floppy disk and booting up the Ezflash utility. Will I have not touched a flopy disket in i dont know how long and my last 2 computers did not even have a floppy disk drive. And to top it all of my new case for the computer im trying to get to work does not even have a place to install a floppy disk drive.

Like ***??? Have any of you guys had this problem? How do you update the bios? Is there a way to do it from Vista 64 bit?

You can use the asus update utility that comes with the motherboard, or you can download it off the website. Or a more favourable (and safer) alternative, is to format a thumbdrive and flash the bios from there. google for tutorials, lol.

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GANDALFtheGREY
View Post

Or a more favourable (and safer) alternative, is to format a thumbdrive and flash the bios from there. google for tutorials, lol.

Second.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Create a Bootable USB and flash the bios:

1. First download the USB Boot drive creator "HPUSBFW"
2. Then download the boot files and extract them to a folder of your choice

3. Run the HPUSBFW program.

Select the correct USB device from the drop-down menu, set file system to FAT32 and check Create a DOS startup disk.

4. Then browse for the extracted boot files (now in the folder of your choice) and press start to begin formating it.

5. Once the device is done, Copy the AFUDOS and the P5N-E-SLI bios to the USB drive, but rename it to new.rom for ease of flashing (you will not see the boot files on it).

6. You will then restart and go into bios to load default bios options. Then set the ram voltage and reboot (plug in the USB drive into the back USB port at this time). Then, while the PC is booting up, press F8 to enter the boot option. Select the USB drive.

7. At the C: type afudos /inew.rom /pbnc /n

8. The bios will then begin flashing. Dont do anything until the bios is finished flashing and you are instructed to reboot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts