Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently bought another Galaxy GTX460 768 MB to hook the same video cards together.

My mobo is a Asus P6X58D Premium, with three PCIe 2.0 ports that have speeds of x16/x16/x1 or x16/x8/x8 (plus others). In other words, two blue ports and one white.

So I put both video cards next to each in the x16 slots, and connected the SLI bridge. After the drivers installed, all I did was go to the control panel and click maximize 3D performance/enable SLI. That worked out, but my temps were ridiculous, with the first GPU going up to 90+ Celsius. both cards were in x16/x16 ports, but they were literally .2 milometer apart from each other, blocking the 1st GPU's fan.

So I then decided to put the second GPU in the white x8 port, making the bandwidth x16/x8. The bridge is not long enough, however, but I then researched that the cards should work in SLI anyways without the bridge. I check the control panel, and the option is grayed out with two warnings underneath:

For maximum 3D performance, connect the bridge.
and
For optimum 3D performance, plug the second card into a high performance PCIe slot.

videocard.jpg

Both warning should not gray out the enable SLI option. If anything, I researched that the bandwidth makes no noticeable difference and the SLI bridge is not necessarily to enable SLI ( I just bought one off amazon already)

My thoughts from other posts and forums are this,

I should reset the CMOS, but i do not know how to do that on the mobo and I have a lot of overclock settings and other options which i do not want to mess up.

I also heard that Realtek NIC or the LAN network drivers were causing this problem and should downgrade them, but I could only find EVGA files.

I have the latest nvidia patch (275.33) and reinstalled twice with clean installs (which uninstalled all the nvidia drivers)

Anyone have any idea's?

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
You need the SLI cable. You cannot run these cards in SLI through the PCIe lanes. Lets work on temps. Can you take a pic of the cards the way you had them the first time. Was the fan running 100% when you hit 90? Do you have side fans? I am thinking a mod is in store for the top card. Maybe mounting a fan on the back will work. Gotta see a pic though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why cant I just leave the cards the way they are and connect a bridge to them? The bandwidth is x16/x8 which is not a noticeable difference, and the temps are in the 40's idle and 60s under load instead of 50 idle and 90 under load.

Can you place the two cards in any PCIe slots, bridged, and have SLI enabled?

·
Waiting on New Hardware
4,478 Posts
put the cards so that there's at least one empty slot between them so the top card can breathe.

and yes the SLI bridge is mandatory.
and you must have the cards in x16 or x8 slots only. slower slots won't work.

the white x8 slot will be fine. use it.

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
Measure how far the bridge needs to reach. I have an extra one I could send to you for the shipping cost. I like keeping them apart like you have them better so they can breathe. x8 will not slow down a 460 much if any at all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just ordered a long bridge like 3 hours ago, sorry. however, my problem is that I can not activate SLI now without the bridge attached. I researched that the option to enable SLI should be available even without the bridge. Is this true? If so, then my first post still applies...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a radon question for you specifically raza because you had 460's. Which way does the bridge go? Does it matter, because there are no identifications on which way the bridge should go. This is it right here:

compeve_flex_sli.jpg

Should the word Asus be facing in towards the case/towards the end of the video cards, or towards the casing of the computer, where all the ports are...never figured it out yet.

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
You're welcome. Just so you know, 9xxx series GPU's and I believe a few low end 2xx cards are the only ones that can SLI through the PCIe lanes without an SLI Bridge, but the performance is hit terribly! -30%+

Did you just get a 2nd one? How long have you owned the first one? Nice system!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually, I just got the second card yesterday, in addition to 4 more gigs of Corsiar dominator DDR3. I have had the card for about 5 months, and it is working pretty well. it is a none reference card too, which i was skeptical about. i just want to try the two cards out on some games, but i guess I have to wait for now..

I probably should update my specs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.