Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm struggling to get this rig stable at stock speeds. Ram is rated for 1600mhz at 9-9-9-24 but I'm running 1333 at the same timings. 1.65v on RAM.

Everything else is stock except for CPU voltage, which I increased to 1.375 from 1.35v in an effort to get it stable. I can run Small FFT's in Prime 95 stable, but anything that involve RAM (Large FFT's or Blend) causes the computer to freeze with looping sound after a few minutes. I think the RAM is fine, as it passed Memtest. I have a suspicion that it may be the northbridge.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm all ears... Thanks.

Also : Sort of unrelated. When I unlock the CPU to quad and run Prime, the computer will restart after a bit and give me a "Hypertransport Sync Flood Error" I've googled it and found no definitive answer to what is causing it.

Current Bios Settings :::

Cell Menu (Overclocking) Pg 1

Cell Menu pg 2

Memory Timings menu pg 1

Mem page 2

·
OG AMD
8,927 Posts
If you can post a pic of your advanced bios settings.Normally you do have to set your NB voltage to 1.3-1.4 volts,your VDDNB(memory contoller in CPU die) also might need a bump.HT may also need to be raised.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will take a few pics, albeit crappy from a camera phone. Give me a few minutes.

Found my camera! Pics will be decent!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, Pics are here!

Cell Menu (Overclocking) Pg 1

Cell Menu pg 2

Memory Timings menu pg 1

Mem page 2

Lemme know if you need anything else!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Raising the HT Link speed generally makes things more unstable, not more stable. Make sure that the ram is running at the voltage that is recommended by the manufacturer. 1.65 should be fine. I would probably try raising the CPU-NB voltage to maybe 1.25 to 1.3. Sometimes that helps with stability. I would also try ram timings on Auto. Unfortunately ram passing Memtest is no guarantee that it's going to work properly in the OS.

As for the unlocking situation it sounds like you may have at least one bad core. It might go as a tri core and it might not. Unlocking is just a gamble not a guarantee. I would definitely try getting things stable as a dual core before trying to get things stable with more cores.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Do you know anybody who could lend you a stick or two of some DDR3? That would be the way to eliminate the ram as a problem. I had a friend whose ram just did not cooperate with his board. He got a different brand of ram and has had no more problems.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I find it weird that your system will crash when it is running at stock settings. Have you tried loading fail safe settings in the bios to try it out?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by coonmanx
View Post

Do you know anybody who could lend you a stick or two of some DDR3? That would be the way to eliminate the ram as a problem. I had a friend whose ram just did not cooperate with his board. He got a different brand of ram and has had no more problems.

I don't have any extra RAM laying around. I can try single sticks or maybe a friend has a stick...

Quote:

Originally Posted by YangerD
View Post

I find it weird that your system will crash when it is running at stock settings. Have you tried loading fail safe settings in the bios to try it out?

Fail Safe settings don't help. It is stable with Small FFT's but unstable with Large or Blend.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by imadude10
View Post

I don't have any extra RAM laying around. I can try single sticks or maybe a friend has a stick...

Fail Safe settings don't help. It is stable with Small FFT's but unstable with Large or Blend.

Small FFT's is all CPU based isn't it? I know Blend is both CPU and RAM, so if your only failing with Blend, it must be your RAM. Those are my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by YangerD
View Post

Small FFT's is all CPU based isn't it? I know Blend is both CPU and RAM, so if your only failing with Blend, it must be your RAM. Those are my thoughts.

There's a set of DDR3 in another computer in the house, but It's being used. Perhaps when it's inactive, I can steal a stick and try it out.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by imadude10
View Post

There's a set of DDR3 in another computer in the house, but It's being used. Perhaps when it's inactive, I can steal a stick and try it out.

Ya, I'd say you should try it out. I'm pretty sure it's the RAM if stressing the CPU alone won't freeze it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts