Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my gtx 260 since, oh march? and recently ive been having issues. When i went to overclock my card (barely anything) to ~650MHz, it would crash after a while to 400MHz and stick their until i rebooted. Im not overheating, im reaching ~75c according to evga precision. So i kept my O/C @ 625Mhz for a bit, no issues. Today, it is doing it at stock clocks, i can only play gta4 for about 25 minutes...

NOTE: this has only happened since switching from vista to windows 7, google has not helped me one bit. EVGA customer service wont be up until saturday due to the holiday.

EDIT* it does this while in game, dropping my frame rate ALOT, i starting to think its my power supply,but i am not sure, i am getting the HX850 next month.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanb213 View Post
Ive had my gtx 260 since, oh march? and recently ive been having issues. When i went to overclock my card (barely anything) to ~650MHz, it would crash after a while to 400MHz and stick their until i rebooted. Im not overheating, im reaching ~75c according to evga precision. So i kept my O/C @ 625Mhz for a bit, no issues. Today, it is doing it at stock clocks, i can only play gta4 for about 25 minutes...

NOTE: this has only happened since switching from vista to windows 7, google has not helped me one bit. EVGA customer service wont be up until saturday due to the holiday.
Hmm.... let me think about this for a bit.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tank View Post
Are you sure its not your card just throttling down to lower power settings since the card isnt requiring full power all the time?

Edit: hmm, after rereading that maybe do a driver sweep and try reinstalling the driver
Thank you thats what I was thinking. My card throttles down to the same speeds when in 2D applications.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, it throttles down to 301Mhz while in 2d, this shouldnt have ANYTHING to do with re instaling drivers, this is after 2 fresh installs, re formats, so i highly highly doubt it

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanb213 View Post
Nope, it throttles down to 301Mhz while in 2d, this shouldnt have ANYTHING to do with re instaling drivers, this is after 2 fresh installs, re formats, so i highly highly doubt it
well try to do a driver install, maybe try a different driver? I havnt had any issues with the newest driver for me but every card and system is different and reacts differently. Also some cards are better overclockers than others so even a small overclock can cause instability...im also starting to wonder if its a power issue where the cards not getting enough power

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
i would say do a complete driver wipe, then reinstal the newest ones, but to prevent underclocking or something, i would say instal riva tuner and set it just above stock, like from 600mhz to 601mhz. that way it would hold it there. Then turn your fan to 100% (i get dropping FPS when even one card gets toasty) and try that, hope this works
(later try overclocking, but see if this solves this issue)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tank View Post
yes but he never specified if he tried different drivers, which may or may not help but its always a starting point to try
Nvidias driver section is down for me right now, so i cant get to them

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, i downloaded the newest ones, earlier today that page was down, not sure why, but w/e. Im heading out with some family for turkey day in 20 minutes so i wont be able to test the new drivers until later.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
once you have your drivers in, try doing the rivatuner thing like i said. And put your fans at 100%. Temps=lower performance and it may be underclocking your card to compensate like you said (never had that issue, im overclocked 24/7 with fans at 80%)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fear of Oneself
View Post

once you have your drivers in, try doing the rivatuner thing like i said. And put your fans at 100%. Temps=lower performance and it may be underclocking your card to compensate like you said (never had that issue, im overclocked 24/7 with fans at 80%)

Ill try it, but my temps never exceed 75c

1 - 14 of 14 Posts