Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have bought a custom computer with the fractal R5 define case also with an h100i.
I was wondering if I could go for the same build as here (finished build starts at 7:35)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRZIdbdcIiU

I want my h100i radiator to be mounted at the front intake and have the fan behind the radiator similar to the video.

I was wondering would it be possible to do so with the fractal 140mm fan behind the radiator, if not what could i do do make it possible ? (possibly purchase an extra 120mm case fan instead of using the 140mm fan)

Currently; I have the radiator mounted on the top (the default build) and it makes a lot of noise, thus my reason to shift the radiator to the front for front intake.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asura1990 View Post

Hi,

I have bought a custom computer with the fractal R5 define case also with an h100i.
I was wondering if I could go for the same build as here (finished build starts at 7:35)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRZIdbdcIiU

I want my h100i radiator to be mounted at the front intake and have the fan behind the radiator similar to the video.

I was wondering would it be possible to do so with the fractal 140mm fan behind the radiator, if not what could i do do make it possible ? (possibly purchase an extra 120mm case fan instead of using the 140mm fan)

Currently; I have the radiator mounted on the top (the default build) and it makes a lot of noise, thus my reason to shift the radiator to the front for front intake.

Thanks.
The H100i is for 120mm fans, you would also have better cooling performance if you place your fans in front of the radiator for a push setup. The H100i should fit no problem in the front of that case, however you will have to use 120mm fans. Also note that the stock fans that come with the H100i are extremely loud when under load, you may want to think about replacing those with a more quiet fans (I used Noctua F12s). Hope this helps

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrockinWV View Post

The H100i is for 120mm fans, you would also have better cooling performance if you place your fans in front of the radiator for a push setup. The H100i should fit no problem in the front of that case, however you will have to use 120mm fans. Also note that the stock fans that come with the H100i are extremely loud when under load, you may want to think about replacing those with a more quiet fans (I used Noctua F12s). Hope this helps
Thanks for the response, I have also thought of replacing the stock fans of the h100i. I will do that until I get my next pay check
biggrin.gif
So would I have to replace the 140mm fan in front of my case for 120mm ones and then place them behind my radiator? Just like the person did in the video? (he has Kraken 61 280mm so he could use the 140mm fan).

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the response, I have also thought of replacing the stock fans of the h100i. I will do that until I get my next pay check
biggrin.gif
So would I have to replace the 140mm fan in front of my case for 120mm ones and then place them behind my radiator? Just like the person did in the video? (he has Kraken 61 280mm so he could use the 140mm fan).
You can use the stock fans if the sound doesnt bother you or if you game with headphones on. You will have to change out the 140mm fans for 120mm fans on the H100i, but you should be able to use the 140mm fan(s) included on the front of the case for maybe a bottom intake spot. If I were you I would place the fans on the front of the rad, I think you would yield better performance pushing air through the rad rather than pulling air through the rad.

• Rep+
Reactions: asura1990

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

You can use the stock fans if the sound doesnt bother you or if you game with headphones on. You will have to change out the 140mm fans for 120mm fans on the H100i, but you should be able to use the 140mm fan(s) included on the front of the case for maybe a bottom intake spot. If I were you I would place the fans on the front of the rad, I think you would yield better performance pushing air through the rad rather than pulling air through the rad.
In front of the radiator? Wow, I did not think that was possible with the h100i in the fractal R5, I may just do as that to be honest. I will purchase 4 noctua 120mm blades, 2 to replace the stock radiator fans and 2 for the front of the case.

Do you have any tutorials or any reference on how I could accomplish this setup on on the Fractal R5? It's okay if you don't but it would be helpful
smile.gif

Thanks again!
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:

In front of the radiator? Wow, I did not think that was possible with the h100i in the fractal R5, I may just do as that to be honest. I will purchase 4 noctua 120mm blades, 2 to replace the stock radiator fans and 2 for the front of the case.

Do you have any tutorials or any reference on how I could accomplish this setup on on the Fractal R5? It's okay if you don't but it would be helpful
smile.gif

Thanks again!
smile.gif
If you decide to buy the Noctua fans I believe the F12s would be the ones you want to look into. You will basically want the rad sandwiched between your fans. You should mount 2 fans on the front and then other 2 on the back of the rad, this will be a push/pull set up. Im not sure of any tutorials at the moment since the case is still very new, just keep your eyes open on the forum and on YouTube and im sure something will be popping up soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

If you decide to buy the Noctua fans I believe the F12s would be the ones you want to look into. You will basically want the rad sandwiched between your fans. You should mount 2 fans on the front and then other 2 on the back of the rad, this will be a push/pull set up. Im not sure of any tutorials at the moment since the case is still very new, just keep your eyes open on the forum and on YouTube and im sure something will be popping up soon.
Thanks, just out of curiosity do you run the same set up on your computer?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, just out of curiosity do you run the same set up on your computer?
I have the R4 on the front I have 2 140mm Noctua fans, I do have a H100i with 2 Noctua F12s set up as intake on the top of my case. However I regret going this route, I originally had a Noctua U14S CPU cooler that worked great, but I was a victim of thinking the grass was greener on the other side. The H100i doesnt really give me any better cooling, is a pain in the ass to use with 8.1, and my LEDs will never save the color I want it to. Every time I turn my computer on the lights are pink instead of red and I manually have to set them back to red. The H100i also cost more than air coolers while being less realiable and more of a risk if it leaks, not to mention being louder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

I have the R4 on the front I have 2 140mm Noctua fans, I do have a H100i with 2 Noctua F12s set up as intake on the top of my case. However I regret going this route, I originally had a Noctua U14S CPU cooler that worked great, but I was a victim of thinking the grass was greener on the other side. The H100i doesnt really give me any better cooling, is a pain in the ass to use with 8.1, and my LEDs will never save the color I want it to. Every time I turn my computer on the lights are pink instead of red and I manually have to set them back to red. The H100i also cost more than air coolers while being less realiable and more of a risk if it leaks, not to mention being louder.
Thanks, yes the leaks is something i'm also concerned about. I may replace the h100i in the near future for a 280mm (more reliable cooler).

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, yes the leaks is something i'm also concerned about. I may replace the h100i in the near future for a 280mm (more reliable cooler).
Really your best bet for reliability would be to go for a high end air cooler. They are quiet, and just as if not more efficient as AIO coolers. Also you dont have to worry about leaks, and if your fan goes out you can still use your rig. If you have a problem with your AIO you are not able to use your rig at all until you get a replacement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Really your best bet for reliability would be to go for a high end air cooler. They are quiet, and just as if not more efficient as AIO coolers. Also you dont have to worry about leaks, and if your fan goes out you can still use your rig. If you have a problem with your AIO you are not able to use your rig at all until you get a replacement.
That's the problem, I thought of installing a Noctua DH15 but those coolers are so damn big it takes up a lot of space.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Thanks, I may consider this in the future.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, I may consider this in the future.
thumb.gif
Good luck with everything

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have problem with h100i, im not shure,but the cpu cooler doesnt reach cpu when radiator is mounted in the front of the case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts