Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my psw10 and I now I'm confused on how to set it up. I was researching on other forums saying I have to get a stereo receiver. I am sure I read somewhere that someone said I could just plug the sub into the sub out of my sound card, but now I don't know anymore. Help would be appreciated.

Also, I have a2s as my speakers and a ht omega striker sound card.

Edit: Have an rca to 3.5mm cable but it doesnt seem to work.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Get a 3.5mm splitter.
Plug your speakers into one hole of the splitter.
Get a 3.5mm to RCA Y-cable.
Plug the cable into the other hole, and the red & white of the RCA goes to the LINE IN on the sub, right beside the knobs.

That, or get a receiver.

Note that while using my abovementioned method, be sure to set the sub volume to the minimum. Or else it will explode when you turn on the music.

Then tune it to match your speakers' output, and in future adjust the volume via your music player/Windows so you don't have to bend over everytime to adjust the volume on the sub.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoolGuy
View Post

What he needs is a 3.5mm jack to rca converter. Here

assuming this is for your PC dont bother with the receiver it causes more problems then it solves.

How does a receiver cause more problems than it solves?

Honest question, I thought it's easier than messing with a sound card.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
You'll need this:

And this:

Plug the first cable into the output on your soundcard (the jack you are currently using).

Then, plug your speakers into one output of the splitter, and the second cable into the second output of the splitter.

Then the second cable goes to your subwoofer.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illusion Of Progress
View Post

How does a receiver cause more problems than it solves?

Honest question, I thought it's easier than messing with a sound card.

It depends on what he wants to do. If it is just for music, and he enjoys stereo, an amp will do. If he is into movies, gaming and such and wants 5.1, then it is best to get a decent receiver. If he likes both, then he will have to find a receiver(usually the older high end units) that he can do both with.

Edit: Not so. He most likely will only need the 3.5>RCA splitter, and plug into the line in (L&R) on the sub. Assuming he already has powered desktop speakers, they should already have the necessary 3.5 plug for the card.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericld
View Post

It depends on what he wants to do. If it is just for music, and he enjoys stereo, an amp will do. If he is into movies, gaming and such and wants 5.1, then it is best to get a decent receiver. If he likes both, then he will have to find a receiver(usually the older high end units) that he can do both with.

I will be mainly playing music and watching movies. and i just want a 2.1 i guess.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
What kind of desktop speakers do you have.

OK, so you mean Audioengine A2 desktops. A2's meant nothing to me. Now I know.

·
Registered
318 Posts
He's got the A2's. To the OP you would just plug your A2's into the primary front channel output then using the recommended RCA -> 3.5mm jack, plug the RCA into the sub and the 3.5mm into the center/sub channel on your sound card. Your sound card is setup to where it is already capable of doing what you ask. You can then go into the sound card software to setup the sub.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillykid
View Post

He's got the A2's. To the OP you would just plug your A2's into the primary front channel output then using the recommended RCA -> 3.5mm jack, plug the RCA into the sub and the 3.5mm into the center/sub channel on your sound card. Your sound card is setup to where it is already capable of doing what you ask. You can then go into the sound card software to setup the sub.

any idea on how to set up the sub on my sound card after doing what you told me to?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznwireboi
View Post

any idea on how to set up the sub on my sound card after doing what you told me to?

Not familiar with your sound card, but I know mine came with a manual.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The sub should work automatically if hooked up right. If not, mess with settings on the audio driver and windows sound.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljason8eg View Post
My sound card needs to be set in 5 channel mode so the sub/center is active. Wouldn't surprise me if other brands of cards are the same.
I can turn my sub on or off in PCM/Stereo mode in my D2X control.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljason8eg
View Post

My sound card needs to be set in 5 channel mode so the sub/center is active. Wouldn't surprise me if other brands of cards are the same.

thanks man, that actually worked. after so much research and i couldn't find it but it was just that simple

1 - 19 of 19 Posts